jeebzlovesyellow
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have a sixth form induction day coming up this week. I decided on 3 A-levels (Computer Science, Maths, Economics).... my college only permits 3 A-levels unless you take further maths. I want to go into Computer Science or Cyber Security.

However after my DofE expedition and hearing that so many people are doing computer science with further maths, I'm considering taking further maths again. Some unis require further maths, and some of the topics in further maths I think are important for computer science.

Trouble is, that brings me up to 4 A-levels. And I'm doing an EPQ. So I won't have the study slots if I do further maths... however it really does seem like fun - maths interests me. Although I haven't got my actual GCSE results yet I think I will get a grade 8. I'm in the top set, I'm not the best in the top set but I like to think I'm above average.

I want to do further maths but do you think it would be wise to/necessary?

Also my sixth form's option blocks mean that in order to do FM I can't do Economics... do I go for something else?? I might be able to negotiate the changing-about of the option blocks. ahhh help please :-)
EDEM0978
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Four A-Levels and an EPQ can be a lot. If you were to go ahead and do four, I'd definitely consider dropping the EPQ at least.

I'm doing Economics right now, and I really enjoy it and genuinely believe it's a good essay subject - but it's not exactly necessary for what you want to pursue in the future, which is something to consider.

If you have any idea of what universities you might be interested in applying to in the future, I'd check their entry requirements and see whether or not they require or recommend Further Maths to be taken. If the vast majority of universities you're interested in recommend it, I'd say go ahead. If not, you don't need to push yourself that hard.
ambersmith1809
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I thought about doing further maths when I was starting sixth form as I loved maths and had always been good at it( gained a grade 8) but then I started Alevels and it was completely different. I still enjoyed the concept of what we was learning but it’s a massive jump in difficulty levels. It didn’t help because my teacher focused on a couple students as they were the top of the class but you need to be able to put the work into it, and a lot of it. If you think you could manage 4 alevels and it would benefit you afterwards then definitely go for it. But if you think it will get too much and it’s not necessary for what you want to do then I wouldn’t.
PandaPancake0
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Look at the unis you're interested in. If you think you'll apply to the elite ones take FM, the vast majority of applicants will have it. It's more useful than CS A level for a CS degree.
Luwei
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes.
jeebzlovesyellow
Rep:
?
(Original post by EDEM0978)
Four A-Levels and an EPQ can be a lot. If you were to go ahead and do four, I'd definitely consider dropping the EPQ at least.

I'm doing Economics right now, and I really enjoy it and genuinely believe it's a good essay subject - but it's not exactly necessary for what you want to pursue in the future, which is something to consider.

If you have any idea of what universities you might be interested in applying to in the future, I'd check their entry requirements and see whether or not they require or recommend Further Maths to be taken. If the vast majority of universities you're interested in recommend it, I'd say go ahead. If not, you don't need to push yourself that hard.
thank you. it’s only really oxbridge who seem to require FM and i think i’d be better off guaranteeing some A*s and not pushing myself too hard.... oxbridge isn’t the be all and end all....
jeebzlovesyellow
Rep:
?
(Original post by ambersmith1809)
I thought about doing further maths when I was starting sixth form as I loved maths and had always been good at it( gained a grade 8) but then I started Alevels and it was completely different. I still enjoyed the concept of what we was learning but it’s a massive jump in difficulty levels. It didn’t help because my teacher focused on a couple students as they were the top of the class but you need to be able to put the work into it, and a lot of it. If you think you could manage 4 alevels and it would benefit you afterwards then definitely go for it. But if you think it will get too much and it’s not necessary for what you want to do then I wouldn’t.
I definitely have the work ethic but it’s not necessary for most courses. thank you, if fm is that much of a jump then although i could manage it i’m not sure future me would appreciate it!
jeebzlovesyellow
Rep:
?
(Original post by PandaPancake0)
Look at the unis you're interested in. If you think you'll apply to the elite ones take FM, the vast majority of applicants will have it. It's more useful than CS A level for a CS degree.
yeah.... the topics covered in FM are also apparently more useful in CS than the actual À level.... hmmm thank you. I don’t want to limit myself due to not taking further maths.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (40)
14.71%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (89)
32.72%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (33)
12.13%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (23)
8.46%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (14)
5.15%
I think it's an unfair expectation (70)
25.74%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.1%

Watched Threads