Can you transfer universities after a foundation year

Watch
sharkdemon
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I know that I will need to take a foundation year but I was hoping to do it closer to my home, and then transfer to a different uni further away for year 1. I was wondering if this is possible and easy to do, or will it really complicate matters.
conord_123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes you can. Speak with your tutor and contact other universities that you're interested in then take it from there
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by sharkdemon)
I know that I will need to take a foundation year but I was hoping to do it closer to my home, and then transfer to a different uni further away for year 1. I was wondering if this is possible and easy to do, or will it really complicate matters.
Foundation years are designed for entry to that Uni's main degree course only. They are not stand-alone 'qualifications' and are not transferable to other Universities because they do not have a set syllabus - or academic standard.

The exception to this is an International Foundation program or an Art & Design Foundation, but for 'normal' Year 0 courses you shouldn't start a Foundation year at any Uni where you don't want to do their degree.
2B_or_not_2B
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
it might complicate matters. The new uni has no obligation to accept your foundation year, they might not think you are up to the muster.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Can you? Yes
Is it easy? No
Will it complicate matters? Sometimes

Foundation years aren’t a recognised qualification and aren’t universally accepted for entry to other universities.

To transfer you have to fill out a new ucas application with a PS and a reference from your foundation university.

If you’re using student loans to fund your studies then moving from yr 0 at one university to yr 1 at a new university will be counted by SFE as a repeat/restart year and will therefore use up your gift year of funding.

In 90% of cases it is better to resit/repeat A levels instead of taking a foundation year
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (57)
22.62%
Excited but a bit nervous (115)
45.63%
Not bothered either way (33)
13.1%
I'm really nervous (47)
18.65%

Watched Threads