Justine200027
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi everyone
I start my first placement on the 12th of July, and I will be on a trauma and orthopaedic ward. I'm excited but also really nervous as i feel that i don't know enough. Any suggestions on what i can do to prepare? The hospital has told me to look up bones and stuff like that. Any other ideas?
Thanks in advance
Justine
xoxo
Allyson2020
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Justine200027)
Hi everyone
I start my first placement on the 12th of July, and I will be on a trauma and orthopaedic ward. I'm excited but also really nervous as i feel that i don't know enough. Any suggestions on what i can do to prepare? The hospital has told me to look up bones and stuff like that. Any other ideas?
Thanks in advance
Justine
xoxo
Justine,
Would advise you if you want to look up things is to concertrate on the following below as guidance what you'll be upto as student nurse on this placement, some of what you'll see won't be pretty as most trauma & orthopedic wards are attached to A&E units to cope with major RTA's ( road traffic accidents) and daily incidents with broken & fracture bones.
Study the area of trauma & orthopedic and you'll see what it all about.
I'm a registered adult nurse with NHS.
Good luck with your first ever placement and enjoy your journey as a student nurse okay .

What happens on a trauma ward......
The Trauma Unit is an orthopaedic trauma ward, caring for patients who have had accidents and injuries. … Most patients are admitted via the Emergency Department; others come from orthopaedic clinics or straight from home. We focus on stabilising the patient and where necessary preparing them for surgery.

The difference between trauma and Orthopaedics
Orthopedic surgery – branch of surgery concerned with conditions involving the musculoskeletal system. ... Trauma surgery and traumatology is a sub-specialty dealing with the operative management of fractures, major trauma and the multiply-injured patient.

What does an orthopedic trauma nurse do when on duty ...…
Orthopaedic nurses have many daily tasks, including seeing new patients and assessing symptoms, monitoring existing patients, and providing follow-up care to surgical patients. They also help with casting and wound dressing for the recently injured as well as motion therapy for those recuperating from injuries.

Emily_B don't know if you want to add anything to this !!!
Last edited by Allyson2020; 1 month ago
Justine200027
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Allyson2020)
Justine,
Would advise you if you want to look up things is to concertrate on the following below as guidance what you'll be upto as student nurse on this placement, some of what you'll see won't be pretty as most trauma & orthopedic wards are attached to A&E units to cope with major RTA's ( road traffic accidents) and daily incidents with broken & fracture bones.
Study the area of trauma & orthopedic and you'll see what it all about.
I'm a registered adult nurse with NHS.
Good luck with your first ever placement and enjoy your journey as a student nurse okay .

What happens on a trauma ward......
The Trauma Unit is an orthopaedic trauma ward, caring for patients who have had accidents and injuries. … Most patients are admitted via the Emergency Department; others come from orthopaedic clinics or straight from home. We focus on stabilising the patient and where necessary preparing them for surgery.

The difference between trauma and Orthopaedics
Orthopedic surgery – branch of surgery concerned with conditions involving the musculoskeletal system. ... Trauma surgery and traumatology is a sub-specialty dealing with the operative management of fractures, major trauma and the multiply-injured patient.

What does an orthopedic trauma nurse do when on duty ...…
Orthopaedic nurses have many daily tasks, including seeing new patients and assessing symptoms, monitoring existing patients, and providing follow-up care to surgical patients. They also help with casting and wound dressing for the recently injured as well as motion therapy for those recuperating from injuries.

Emily_B don't know if you want to add anything to this !!!
Thank you so much! I’ll have a look into some of the stuff you mentioned! X
Allyson2020
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you so much! I’ll have a look into some of the stuff you mentioned! X
Hi
No worries as it will defo help you with this like and take notes as well on it and form it as part of your placement you'll be doing .
Emily_B
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi everyone
Thanks in advance
Justine
xoxo
Hi Justine!

Allyson has given you some great advice here.

As this is your first placement ever... please remember that it is exactly that! Placement is there to develop your learning, and the only way of knowing "enough" about a placement area is by spending time there.
As a practice assessor/mentor, I definitely don't expect much from those on first ever placement - apart from a willingness to get involved. Looking up stuff to do with the skeleton is the best prep you can do, and then get involved with as much as possible there - including personal care and feeding (can be a bit interesting with plaster casts on or strict rules on rolling people with spinal fractures...) and just take every learning opportunity when you get there :-)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (42)
27.63%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
9.21%
No I am happy with my choice (85)
55.92%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (11)
7.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise