Emma.11
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm in yr12 and have chosen to do an english degree at uni but I really regret this because of the poor graduate prospects. So what high paid jobs would I be able to get with an english degree? I regret not taking more stem subjects for a levels then I could so a better degree at uni.
Caz1234567
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You do realise you can still do a stem subject at uni? E.g there are foundation year medicine degrees for people applying with "the wrong subjects"
Also you're only in year 12, it's not too late to change your mind about what uni course you want to do
Emma.11
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Caz1234567)
You do realise you can still do a stem subject at uni? E.g there are foundation year medicine degrees for people applying with "the wrong subjects"
Also you're only in year 12, it's not too late to change your mind about what uni course you want to do
I think my parents would be quite disappointed if I didn't get into Oxbridge, and as I only have maths and not further maths it would be very hard to get into Oxford or Cambridge to do Maths. I have thought about taking a gap year to teach myself furthermaths but I don't know if Cambridg accept applicants who do a levels in two sittings. So I am just trying to sort of make do with doing english and hope I can still get a good job out of it.
Caz1234567
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So if you could you would have applied to maths at uni?
If so:
Many unis do offer maths with a foundation year and many unis are also okay with gap years (I'm pretty sure this includes Cambridge but you'll have to double check on their website). I highly recommend not "making do with English" because a) you'll be doing it for 3/4 years and if you aren't passionate about it those years will not be great b) people who tend to get high paying jobs in English usually tend to work their way up after years and years of experience which usually includes doing unpaid or low salary work to help them go further in the industry c) I'm not saying that it's impossible to find a high paying job in English, I'm saying it just takes a lot of hard work and sacrifice, which is usually worth it to those who absolutely love English but not so much to those who just want a well paying job. Hope this makes sense!

(Original post by Emma.11)
I think my parents would be quite disappointed if I didn't get into Oxbridge, and as I only have maths and not further maths it would be very hard to get into Oxford or Cambridge to do Maths. I have thought about taking a gap year to teach myself furthermaths but I don't know if Cambridg accept applicants who do a levels in two sittings. So I am just trying to sort of make do with doing english and hope I can still get a good job out of it.
(Also if you're interested in maths maybe take a look in to the economics, accountancy, finance and management areas)

I'd also look into computer science at Cambridge as it's actually very maths heavy and maths at Cambridge is more theory based. I'd search up "Flo's study diary" on YouTube, I remember coming across a video that she made about why she switched from maths at Cambridge to computer science at Cambridge. She also provides an insight into what both courses are like.

Cambridge also offers a lot of events/competitions to y12/13 regarding stem subjects. So maybe enter one of those to help boost your personal statement and get an insight into the course for yourself. Also look up masterclasses/conferences!!! I managed to attend a maths conference at Oxford and it was amazing. I also went on several events/trips to both unis. It will all be online but I'd still highly recommend!
You can find a lot of events through searching but you can also sign up to their mailing list for example I signed up to Oxford's maths mailing list and they usually send emails about upcoming events.
Last edited by Caz1234567; 1 month ago
Keele Postgraduate
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Emma.11)
I'm in yr12 and have chosen to do an english degree at uni but I really regret this because of the poor graduate prospects. So what high paid jobs would I be able to get with an english degree? I regret not taking more stem subjects for a levels then I could so a better degree at uni.
Hi Emma.11,

There are lots of jobs that an English degree will prepare you for.

English is a subject that teaches you a vase amount of what gets termed 'transferable skills'. In addition to the obvious literacy benefits, you'll be encouraged to think and express yourself critically across a wide range of topics, analyse and evaluate complex materials, make persuasive arguments in both written essays and verbal presentations, work both independently and in a group - and a whole host of other things!

STEM subjects often have more obvious graduate outcomes whereas Humanities and Social Sciences can be a bit more opaque. There is a misconception that an English degree only prepares you for teaching - and, of course, a lot of English graduates do go on to teach - but there are lots of other careers that value the skills I've mentioned above.

At the end of my undergraduate degree, for example, I had options to join graduate schemes within auditing and accounting companies like PWC and Deloitte, insurance firms such as Markel International, banks such as HSBC and Barclays, and government departments such as the Civil Service. As it was, I moved into journalism and then, later, into estate agency - I had a rewarding (and well paid) career for 10 years before opting to return to study in the hopes of moving into an academic career.

Ultimately, what you do with your English degree is very much up to you. It's not a degree that prepares you for one specific graduate outcome but there are English graduates working in a huge variety of sectors - from finance and banking, to heritage, arts and culture, media, education, and government. Selling the skills you've gained on an English degree might be more challenging than having an obvious career route when you finish your degree programme but, personally, I love the flexibility that brings and have found employers value my skillset too.

Amy Louise
Last edited by Keele Postgraduate; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (36)
28.35%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (11)
8.66%
No I am happy with my choice (71)
55.91%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (9)
7.09%

Watched Threads