Advice for applying to Law/IR/ER?

Watch this thread
channah2
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi

I have read other threads regarding applying to multiple courses, but I just wanted some advice regarding my own personal statement. I have already achieved my A-Levels with A*A*A* in English Lit, French and German and an A* in EPQ, and have taken a gap year to consider my options before applying to uni.

I am hoping to apply to:
- Law with French Law (Oxford)
- European Politics & Society (Dual Degree UCL/Sciences Po)
- European Politics (KCL)
- European Studies French Pathway (KCL)
- English & French Law (KCL)

Am I stupid to attempt to combine a personal statement for Law and IR - that is, are the two too far apart to write a convincing statement and would instead put me at a disadvantage for Oxford? Or would it be perfectly reasonable to concentrate on the philosophical/political/cultural basis for law within the UK and France and emphasise my interest in international relations and law conventions? I have a lot of experience within both international relations (e.g. young diplomatic conferences and think tanks, MUN) and law (mock bar trial, volunteering with Citizens Advice) so it would be possible to bring this in.

I really do not know if the courses are close enough to manage it or if I am just putting myself at a huge disadvantage for no reason. Perhaps it would be better to focus the PS solely on law (for Oxford's benefit) and hope I receive offers from the others?

Many thanks for any advice offered!
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by channah2)
I am hoping to apply to:

Am I stupid to attempt to combine a personal statement for Law and IR
Not a good idea - it will be obvious to any admissions staff reading your statement that you are not committed to their subject.
Decide if you want to do Law - or not - especially if you are applying to Oxford.
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by channah2)
Hi

I have read other threads regarding applying to multiple courses, but I just wanted some advice regarding my own personal statement. I have already achieved my A-Levels with A*A*A* in English Lit, French and German and an A* in EPQ, and have taken a gap year to consider my options before applying to uni.

I am hoping to apply to:

Am I stupid to attempt to combine a personal statement for Law and IR - that is, are the two too far apart to write a convincing statement and would instead put me at a disadvantage for Oxford? Or would it be perfectly reasonable to concentrate on the philosophical/political/cultural basis for law within the UK and France and emphasise my interest in international relations and law conventions? I have a lot of experience within both international relations (e.g. young diplomatic conferences and think tanks, MUN) and law (mock bar trial, volunteering with Citizens Advice) so it would be possible to bring this in.

I really do not know if the courses are close enough to manage it or if I am just putting myself at a huge disadvantage for no reason. Perhaps it would be better to focus the PS solely on law (for Oxford's benefit) and hope I receive offers from the others?

Many thanks for any advice offered!
Hey!

As the others have already said, writing a combined personal statement for 2 subjects is definitely not a good idea. You should use your personal statement to focus on one subject only to properly show these universities you are interested in it and you understand what the subject is about. Combining subjects will just create confusion, and to be honest, decreases your chances of being accepted right from the start.
As a student of International Relations, I would encourage you to choose this subject instead of law, however, that is entirely up to you, of course. It truly is an amazing subject though, and I believe you would enjoy studying it as much as I do.

Hope this helps.

Tereza
Coventry University
International Relations Student
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (15)
18.07%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (21)
25.3%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (43)
51.81%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
4.82%

Watched Threads