channah2
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi

I have read other threads regarding applying to multiple courses, but I just wanted some advice regarding my own personal statement. I have already achieved my A-Levels with A*A*A* in English Lit, French and German and an A* in EPQ, and have taken a gap year to consider my options before applying to uni.

I am hoping to apply to:
- Law with French Law (Oxford)
- European Politics & Society (Dual Degree UCL/Sciences Po)
- European Politics (KCL)
- European Studies French Pathway (KCL)
- English & French Law (KCL)

Am I stupid to attempt to combine a personal statement for Law and IR - that is, are the two too far apart to write a convincing statement and would instead put me at a disadvantage for Oxford? Or would it be perfectly reasonable to concentrate on the philosophical/political/cultural basis for law within the UK and France and emphasise my interest in international relations and law conventions? I have a lot of experience within both international relations (e.g. young diplomatic conferences and think tanks, MUN) and law (mock bar trial, volunteering with Citizens Advice) so it would be possible to bring this in.

I really do not know if the courses are close enough to manage it or if I am just putting myself at a huge disadvantage for no reason. Perhaps it would be better to focus the PS solely on law (for Oxford's benefit) and hope I receive offers from the others?

Many thanks for any advice offered!
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by channah2)
I am hoping to apply to:

Am I stupid to attempt to combine a personal statement for Law and IR
Not a good idea - it will be obvious to any admissions staff reading your statement that you are not committed to their subject.
Decide if you want to do Law - or not - especially if you are applying to Oxford.
Johnny ~
Badges: 15
Report 1 month ago
Hi

I have read other threads regarding applying to multiple courses, but I just wanted some advice regarding my own personal statement. I have already achieved my A-Levels with A*A*A* in English Lit, French and German and an A* in EPQ, and have taken a gap year to consider my options before applying to uni.

I am hoping to apply to:

Am I stupid to attempt to combine a personal statement for Law and IR - that is, are the two too far apart to write a convincing statement and would instead put me at a disadvantage for Oxford? Or would it be perfectly reasonable to concentrate on the philosophical/political/cultural basis for law within the UK and France and emphasise my interest in international relations and law conventions? I have a lot of experience within both international relations (e.g. young diplomatic conferences and think tanks, MUN) and law (mock bar trial, volunteering with Citizens Advice) so it would be possible to bring this in.

I really do not know if the courses are close enough to manage it or if I am just putting myself at a huge disadvantage for no reason. Perhaps it would be better to focus the PS solely on law (for Oxford's benefit) and hope I receive offers from the others?

Bad idea. Pick law or pick IR and write a personal statement that's tailored to the course.

From what you've written, you probably won't enjoy the vast majority of your law degree, especially if you take it at Oxford, so I'd suggest going for IR.

The other universities are selective enough to not want to give an offer to a candidate whose PS clearly does not match the course they are applying to. So writing a law PS won't work.
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi

I am hoping to apply to:

Hey!

As the others have already said, writing a combined personal statement for 2 subjects is definitely not a good idea. You should use your personal statement to focus on one subject only to properly show these universities you are interested in it and you understand what the subject is about. Combining subjects will just create confusion, and to be honest, decreases your chances of being accepted right from the start.
As a student of International Relations, I would encourage you to choose this subject instead of law, however, that is entirely up to you, of course. It truly is an amazing subject though, and I believe you would enjoy studying it as much as I do.

Hope this helps.

Tereza
Coventry University
International Relations Student
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (10)
31.25%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (2)
6.25%
No I am happy with my choice (18)
56.25%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (2)
6.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed