Views: 13
Size:  30.7 KB
Last edited by Elderfury843; 1 month ago
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Those graphs are telling different stories about the motion of the ball and you've got to decide which is right (or most correct) based on what you know about objects in free fall.

You could translate the graphs in to English something like

D. the ball starts off with zero acceleration, after a short while the acceleration has increased and eventually rises to a maximum value.

And see if that helps.
StaggeringAtom8
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Elderfury843)
Can any one tell me the answer to this questionName:  20210622_181151.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  30.7 KB
Have you got the 2020 paper?
Qxi.xli
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Joinedup)
Those graphs are telling different stories about the motion of the ball and you've got to decide which is right (or most correct) based on what you know about objects in free fall.

You could translate the graphs in to English something like

D. the ball starts off with zero acceleration, after a short while the acceleration has increased and eventually rises to a maximum value.

And see if that helps.
What's wrong with B?
surely the acceleration is always 9.81?
StaggeringAtom8
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Qxi.xli)
What's wrong with B?
surely the acceleration is always 9.81
Do you have this paper?
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Qxi.xli)
What's wrong with B?
surely the acceleration is always 9.81?
Question says that the ball of scrunched up paper reaches *terminal velocity* before it hits the ground...

That's the velocity where drag force from the air is equal to the weight force... once a falling object reaches terminal velocity it'll fall at the same speed all day (or until it hits the ground)

Terminal velocity applies to objects falling through fluids (liquids and gasses)... but not to objects falling through vacuum where no drag force occurs.

objects with a large mass relative to their surface area have a high terminal velocity, objects with a low mass relative to their surface area have a low terminal velocity... so in an atmosphere if you dropped a hammer and a feather at the same time the hammer would hit the ground first, but in a vacuum it's different...

Qxi.xli
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Joinedup)
Question says that the ball of scrunched up paper reaches *terminal velocity* before it hits the ground...

That's the velocity where drag force from the air is equal to the weight force... once a falling object reaches terminal velocity it'll fall at the same speed all day (or until it hits the ground)

Terminal velocity applies to objects falling through fluids (liquids and gasses)... but not to objects falling through vacuum where no drag force occurs.

objects with a large mass relative to their surface area have a high terminal velocity, objects with a low mass relative to their surface area have a low terminal velocity... so in an atmosphere if you dropped a hammer and a feather at the same time the hammer would hit the ground first, but in a vacuum it's different...

ahh I see, so the answer is C?
and if the scrunched up paper was dropped in a vacuum, it would be B, right?
thanks so muchh!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (33)
29.73%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
9.01%
No I am happy with my choice (61)
54.95%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (7)
6.31%

Watched Threads