Why do people become distant all of a sudden

Watch
Sophia rosa
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Has anyone ever experienced this? If so, how did you deal with it?

So I’ve been speaking to this guy for a few months. Obviously it was all great at the start. He lives an hour away which is doable. I’m currently 18 years old and live with my parents so yeah it’s a little harder to be spending 24/7 with him... but we see eachother twice a week which I think is great. His communication would be great. We’d message all day everyday. He’d reply within minutes to my messages. But all of a sudden I’ve seen a huge change in the past week. His reply’s are getting longer and blunter. I’ve just shook it off as maybe he’s busy... but after 2 weeks of patience, I couldn’t ignore it anymore. So I decided to confront him by asking him about the communication lately and that I felt as if I was annoying him in some way. He instantly apologised for the impression that he was giving. I finally calmed down. I thought maybe things would’ve changed after that. But no. His reply’s stayed the same, if not worse. I don’t know what else to do. I’ve asked him if anything is going on or if I need to give him space but he continues to say nothing is wrong. I told him if he wanted to end things I would not be offended or angry at all.... but still nothing. It’s been going on far to long and I don’t know what to do

Not here for the nasty replies. I’m just curious if anyone else has experienced this and what they did
Last edited by Sophia rosa; 1 month ago
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Report 1 month ago
Maybe you should think about your behaviour here. You keep nagging him and expecting instant replies 24/7, well guys don't do that stuff normally. You're just annoying the heck out of him probably so he's becoming even less inclined to respond. Maybe he's going through some personal / mental stuff, stop making this about you all the time don't be so selfish. You should be trying to help him out not push him away.
Last edited by Final Fantasy; 1 month ago
Sophia rosa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
Maybe you should think about your behaviour here. You keep nagging him and expecting instant replies 24/7, well guys don't do that stuff normally. You're just annoying the heck out of him probably so he's becoming even less inclined to respond. Maybe he's going through some personal / mental stuff, stop making this about you all the time don't be so selfish. You should be trying to help him out not push him away.
But I’m trying to help him.... It’s not nice when someone changes with you without any reason. I’ve asked him twice. I’ve told him I’m here no matter what’s wrong and he can speak to me about anything. Whenever I try to give him space he doesn’t let me.
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sophia rosa)
But I’m trying to help him.... It’s not nice when someone changes with you without any reason. I’ve asked him twice. I’ve told him I’m here no matter what’s wrong and he can speak to me about anything. Whenever I try to give him space he doesn’t let me.
Instead of messages, get physical, meet up more often or call. Guy prob doesn't like messaging all the time. The other thing is you are both quite young, at 18, barely anyone gets into a serious relationship and if you're planning on going to uni well then the relationship is already over.
ambersmith1809
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There could be all sorts of reasons for his change in behaviour and he might not even know. My advice would be to give him space and be distant back(although that will be difficult), once he realises he’s pushing you away/losing you he might change his behaviour or realise how much he does like you and doesn’t want to stop seeing you.
Sophia rosa
Rep:
?
(Original post by ambersmith1809)
There could be all sorts of reasons for his change in behaviour and he might not even know. My advice would be to give him space and be distant back(although that will be difficult), once he realises he’s pushing you away/losing you he might change his behaviour or realise how much he does like you and doesn’t want to stop seeing you.
I appreciate this thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (48)
5.88%
Uncertainty around my education (93)
11.38%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (83)
10.16%
Lack of purpose or motivation (104)
12.73%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (40)
4.9%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (45)
5.51%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (90)
11.02%
Financial worries (57)
6.98%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (37)
4.53%
Exposure to negative news/social media (52)
6.36%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (25)
3.06%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (78)
9.55%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (65)
7.96%

Watched Threads