The Student Room Group

Summer job advice

Hello everyone, I have a question and I can't stop thinking about it.
I am a university student and I just finished my first year of uni, now I am seeking for a job during this summer.
I had an interview for a normal job yesterday, waiters. In the interview they told me they will not hire someone who wants a summer job, because apparently is not cost effective, and they asked me if that was my intention, which I said no (which is a lie).
Next week will be a trial, but in the event that they employ me, and that I leave in September, do you think there would be a problem? Obviously I would give a week or so of notice before I go. Could there be something in the contract that prevents me from doing this? I know many people who have done this but I want to be sure
Original post by EricConK
Hello everyone, I have a question and I can't stop thinking about it.
I am a university student and I just finished my first year of uni, now I am seeking for a job during this summer.
I had an interview for a normal job yesterday, waiters. In the interview they told me they will not hire someone who wants a summer job, because apparently is not cost effective, and they asked me if that was my intention, which I said no (which is a lie).
Next week will be a trial, but in the event that they employ me, and that I leave in September, do you think there would be a problem? Obviously I would give a week or so of notice before I go. Could there be something in the contract that prevents me from doing this? I know many people who have done this but I want to be sure

Hi @EricConK,

From my personal experience of working as a waitress, if the establishment is adamant about not wanting to take on a student purely looking for a summer job, then it's what they're looking for. It's hard to find a replacement for anyone especially if they hire students who are back for the summer only, because it's easier to hire someone they know will stay, or at least are more permanent. It's more hassle than you think to find a replacement.

I hope this helps.

Veronica Dietetics and Human Nutrition Student
Reply 2
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Hi @EricConK,

From my personal experience of working as a waitress, if the establishment is adamant about not wanting to take on a student purely looking for a summer job, then it's what they're looking for. It's hard to find a replacement for anyone especially if they hire students who are back for the summer only, because it's easier to hire someone they know will stay, or at least are more permanent. It's more hassle than you think to find a replacement.

I hope this helps.

Veronica Dietetics and Human Nutrition Student

Hi, first of all, thank you very much for your response.
Knowing what you said above, companies would probably not be willing to hire students for the summer. In that case, do you think that students like me have a chance on finding a temporary job?
I honestly don't think that writing in your CV that you want a temporary job helps in anything.
On the one hand, I understand what you said above, but what other option would a student like me have?
Thanks again for your time
Original post by EricConK
Hi, first of all, thank you very much for your response.
Knowing what you said above, companies would probably not be willing to hire students for the summer. In that case, do you think that students like me have a chance on finding a temporary job?
I honestly don't think that writing in your CV that you want a temporary job helps in anything.
On the one hand, I understand what you said above, but what other option would a student like me have?
Thanks again for your time

Hey @EricConK,

Thank you for getting back to me.

Of course, you definitely have a chance! There are definitely establishments out there that will hire anyone so you shouldn't feel defeated about your chances. Apply everywhere and see where you end up. The more you apply the higher the chance of you getting an interview or a response back! Writing a CV will still be handy and informative for yourself and for your employers because they still want to get a picture of you before even considering you.
You have a lot of options! Just because somewhere doesn't want to take summer students, it doesn't mean everywhere else will be like this.
I've only ever had one experience where I was rejected because I was only home for the summer, but other places I applied to didn't mind at all and were happy to take me on.

What's important is taking a proactive approach and getting yourself out there to see what opportunities are available to you. Writing a CV and writing one that is good enough takes practice, applying for a job and actually getting accepted takes practice and you'll only know what you're capable of when you put yourself out there and try.

Veronica
Dietetics and Human Nutrition Student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending