The Student Room Group

MA Peace/Development studies at York or Sussex

Hello,I have offers from University of York(Peace and Conflict) and University of Sussex(Conflict, Security and Development), and I really can't decide which one I shoud choose though I have to make a decision soon. The programmes are a bit different, but I like the modules of both universities at the same level. Sussex is the top in development studies and probably more diverse, but my course is not the part of IDS (but global studies). Also, I know there are many students from Japan like me, which is the part I'm concerned because I might prefer the environment where there are few people from home county in class although there are lots of good sides like strong connections/relationships between alumni. York is a Russel group uni and probably ranked higher in UK and I heard department of politics especially post-war recovery is nice, but the course Peace and Conflict studies is very new. I'm hoping to work in the area like international organizations and NGOs after graduation, so I'm wondering if Sussex would be better choice for my career.Any advice and suggestion would be very helpful.Thank you
Original post by ak11111
Hello,I have offers from University of York(Peace and Conflict) and University of Sussex(Conflict, Security and Development), and I really can't decide which one I shoud choose though I have to make a decision soon. The programmes are a bit different, but I like the modules of both universities at the same level. Sussex is the top in development studies and probably more diverse, but my course is not the part of IDS (but global studies). Also, I know there are many students from Japan like me, which is the part I'm concerned because I might prefer the environment where there are few people from home county in class although there are lots of good sides like strong connections/relationships between alumni. York is a Russel group uni and probably ranked higher in UK and I heard department of politics especially post-war recovery is nice, but the course Peace and Conflict studies is very new. I'm hoping to work in the area like international organizations and NGOs after graduation, so I'm wondering if Sussex would be better choice for my career.Any advice and suggestion would be very helpful.Thank you

Hello @ak11111,

Unfortunately, I have not studied Conflict, Security and Development myself, however, as a current third-year student studying Computer Science, I can tell you a little bit about my experience studying at the University of Sussex. I liked that the campus was full of green open spaces, and had easy access to Brighton. Whenever I wanted to relax, I could go to the beach and sunbathe or stroll around the city centre and see what was going on in town. In terms of teaching, the lecturers and staff were very helpful and always willing to provide support. From my experience being a Student Representative and joining School meetings, I could see that the lecturers care about their students and are always looking into ways they could improve teaching. I had a fun time being on campus, joining events and meeting new people through different societies. I liked that the university was diverse, and found people I met through the university were outgoing and friendly.

The University of Sussex is incredibly diverse, with students and staff coming from over 100 different countries. We have more than 200 societies and clubs to choose from (Sport, Societies & Media) and the Student Union is always putting on events where you can find like-minded people and try something new. The campus is surrounded by the South Downs National Park where you can take walks and relax, and the lively city of Brighton is less than 10 mins away from the campus via a train so it's easily accessible to get into town. On-campus, we also have a number of shops, bars and cafes run by the Student Union.

It is probably best to consider a few factors before deciding which university, quality of teaching and your interest in the modules on the course to see which university meets your personal requirements best. Please have a look at the Conflict, Security and Development MA course page to see the courses in more detail. You can also talk to one of our Student Ambassadors online via the Unibuddy Chat Platform to learn more about their experience studying at Sussex.

The University of Sussex is 1st in the world for Development Studies (QS World University Rankings by Subject 2021) which makes Sussex an institution worthy of considering and indicates our quality of teaching.

You’ll benefit from our cutting-edge research, international faculty and distinctive programme of events. We host the Sussex Centre for Conflict and Security Research, the Centre for Advanced International Theory and the Centre for Global Political Economy. You can also make use of our strong working relationships with many alumni, collaborators and partner organisations around the world.

I would focus on which university has better course content and whether you would enjoy your time studying at the university.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any other questions!

Kind Regards,
Erica (3rd Year Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence)
Original post by ak11111

Hi @ak11111
congratulations on both of your offers!

I've just finished my undergraduate degree in Politics so I should be able to answer any questions you might have about the Politics department and the course (you're right though, our department is fantastic and I found the support to be brilliant whenever I needed help).

In terms of having students from Japan, I'm not sure what our current applications for that course are but as a university we have students from over 150 countries and a Japanese society so I'm confident you will be able to find students like you.

We have a great careers department here at York so you may want to have a chat with them to see if we could help you with any concerns over your career path too.

Let me know if I can help with anything,
Bea
Graduate Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending