Study_Abi34
Badges: 11
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I want to do medicine but I feel like I have terrible predicted grades that are more than a pass but not even the minimum AAA. I’m so worried because I don’t want to take out a gap year or do GEM. I know exactly where I’ve gone wrong and I can bring my grades up for next year (year 13 A level exams). What shall I do?
Roasted Potato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you can bring your grades up you will be fine!
Ask your teachers to retest you in Sept and revise hard over summer to increase your predicted grades!

Apply to unis and hopefully you get an offer. And I'd you do but it's not where you want you can always go through adjustment. And if you don't get an offer, do your grades and work really hard and go through clearing with the grades you get!
SyedN
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Gap years aren't even that bad, you get to develop a lot of skills (depending on what you do of course) and having those skills can give you a slight edge in the interviews as you can talk about stuff you did during the gap year as well.

If you can't get AAA after year 13, I would recommend taking a gap year and resitting and I would 100% not recommend GEM, as it is more competitive, costs more and takes longer.
Study_Abi34
(Original post by Roasted Potato)
If you can bring your grades up you will be fine!
Ask your teachers to retest you in Sept and revise hard over summer to increase your predicted grades!

Apply to unis and hopefully you get an offer. And I'd you do but it's not where you want you can always go through adjustment. And if you don't get an offer, do your grades and work really hard and go through clearing with the grades you get!
Thank you! I know where I’ve gone wrong and I know I’m capable of getting better grades but I was worried since I have to apply this year and whether my predicted grades would not get me into a single medical school. I’ll take your advice and do my best. Thank you so much.
Pontins
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Grades aren't everything
Study_Abi34
(Original post by SyedN)
Gap years aren't even that bad, you get to develop a lot of skills (depending on what you do of course) and having those skills can give you a slight edge in the interviews as you can talk about stuff you did during the gap year as well.

If you can't get AAA after year 13, I would recommend taking a gap year and resitting and I would 100% not recommend GEM, as it is more competitive, costs more and takes longer.
So should I try to bring my predicted grades up and apply to med school? I know I’m going to med school but I’m not sure as I might not meet the requirements after year 12. Thank you for your advice!
SyedN
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Study_Abi34)
So should I try to bring my predicted grades up and apply to med school? I know I’m going to med school but I’m not sure as I might not meet the requirements after year 12. Thank you for your advice!
As mentioned above, ask your teachers if they can retest you to boost your grades up for UCAS and if they say yes they can then that's brilliant, as long as it's all done before the October deadline.

If you manage to get AAA prediction then you should definitely apply for medicine this cycle, but my question is are you sitting the UCAT this summer? If you are thinking of applying next year by October you will have had to sat the UCAT this summer.

Also just a tip, start writing your personal statement now and get through a few drafts before you start college again in September so there's less stress and you are fully prepared, instead of starting it in September. If you want I could help proof read it for you and tell you how to improve it and stuff.
Study_Abi34
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SyedN)
As mentioned above, ask your teachers if they can retest you to boost your grades up for UCAS and if they say yes they can then that's brilliant, as long as it's all done before the October deadline.

If you manage to get AAA prediction then you should definitely apply for medicine this cycle, but my question is are you sitting the UCAT this summer? If you are thinking of applying next year by October you will have had to sat the UCAT this summer.

Also just a tip, start writing your personal statement now and get through a few drafts before you start college again in September so there's less stress and you are fully prepared, instead of starting it in September. If you want I could help proof read it for you and tell you how to improve it and stuff.
My goodness, you are a blessing. Thank you so much. I’ll let you know if they will let me retest or not as I haven’t got a chance to ask them yet. I’m definitely doing the UCAT this summer (end of August) so hopefully I can apply to medicine this year for 2022 entry. Thank you. It’s my grades that are pulling me down as I feel as though I’m not capable when it’s my work ethic but I’ll get there.
BedfordMom
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
There’s also the foundation route! Can’t find more detail about the entry criteria or which universities offer it right now but that’s another option for you to enter medicine.
SyedN
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
My goodness, you are a blessing. Thank you so much. I’ll let you know if they will let me retest or not as I haven’t got a chance to ask them yet. I’m definitely doing the UCAT this summer (end of August) so hopefully I can apply to medicine this year for 2022 entry. Thank you. It’s my grades that are pulling me down as I feel as though I’m not capable when it’s my work ethic but I’ll get there.
No worries!

Have you booked a UCAT test already? If you have you should (if you don't already) join the UCAT thread as it has a lot of discussion regarding UCAT tips and stuff like that. Even if your predictions don't go up, which hopefully they will, it will still be a good learning experience and you will be better prepared for when you sit the UCAT again after year 13.

Have you tried other methods of revision like creating flash cards then testing your knowledge using them? Using flash cards is an active form of revision so it helps improve your active recall.

Also like mentioned above, if you meet the Widening Participation Criteria you could just apply to Foundation Medicine. Foundation Medicine still has the same entry process, i.e siting UCAT/BMAT and doing interviews, but it is usually at BBB rather than AAA. It just has an additional year so you do 6 years of medicine rather than 5.

Let me know if you have got any more questions!
Study_Abi34
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SyedN)
No worries!

Have you booked a UCAT test already? If you have you should (if you don't already) join the UCAT thread as it has a lot of discussion regarding UCAT tips and stuff like that. Even if your predictions don't go up, which hopefully they will, it will still be a good learning experience and you will be better prepared for when you sit the UCAT again after year 13.

Have you tried other methods of revision like creating flash cards then testing your knowledge using them? Using flash cards is an active form of revision so it helps improve your active recall.

Also like mentioned above, if you meet the Widening Participation Criteria you could just apply to Foundation Medicine. Foundation Medicine still has the same entry process, i.e siting UCAT/BMAT and doing interviews, but it is usually at BBB rather than AAA. It just has an additional year so you do 6 years of medicine rather than 5.

Let me know if you have got any more questions!
Thank you so much! Is it okay if I message you privately?
SyedN
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you so much! Is it okay if I message you privately?
Yeah sure!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (33)
30.28%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
9.17%
No I am happy with my choice (59)
54.13%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (7)
6.42%

Watched Threads