Any competition for gap year students?

Watch
username5484190
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
The majority of competitions are aimed for students of age 17 ~ 18, and couldn't find any that can be participated for gap year students...

any competition suggestions would be appreciated!
Desideri
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What kind of competition?
ish101
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AsKim)
The majority of competitions are aimed for students of age 17 ~ 18, and couldn't find any that can be participated for gap year students...

any competition suggestions would be appreciated!
competitive programming, its coding and mathematical/algorithmic problem solving. google/facebook run code jam/hacker cup respectively which are big, prestigious competitions held annually (google does kickstart, like mini code jams monthly), along with many others. codeforces/atcoder run some more frequently, of high quality. open to all ages (except no participation in GCJ/FBHC finals for ppl in school (probably because there are dedicated competitions for those ages))
Last edited by ish101; 1 month ago
username5484190
Rep:
?
(Original post by ish101)
competitive programming, its coding and mathematical/algorithmic problem solving. google/facebook run code jam/hacker cup respectively which are big, prestigious competitions held annually (google does kickstart, like mini code jams monthly), along with many others. codeforces/atcoder run some more frequently, of high quality. open to all ages (except no participation in GCJ/FBHC finals for ppl in school (probably because there are dedicated competitions for those ages))
thanks, may I get any links for it? since I can't find it
ish101
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AsKim)
thanks, may I get any links for it? since I can't find it
https://codingcompetitions.withgoogle.com/codejam/about
https://www.facebook.com/codingcompetitions
username5484190
Rep:
?
ah nice finally found some competition :eek:
have you also got something related to biology, mathematics, anthropology, genetics, etc. since I know nothing about coding? These areas were something I couldn't find at all
Last edited by username5484190; 1 month ago
ish101
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AsKim)
ah nice finally found some competition :eek:
have you also got something related to biology, mathematics, anthropology, genetics, etc. since I know nothing about coding? These areas were something I couldn't find at all
np, and i’m not aware of any in those areas unfortunately, for maths there is one in euclidean geometry if interested? iranian geometry olympiad (it’s an international competition, organised in iran)
username5484190
Rep:
?
np, and i’m not aware of any in those areas unfortunately, for maths there is one in euclidean geometry if interested? iranian geometry olympiad (it’s an international competition, organised in iran)
yeah! can I have a link for it as well? that would be great!
ish101
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AsKim)
yeah! can I have a link for it as well? that would be great!
the link isn’t working for me but it’s https://igo-official.ir
think they may be updating the website, usually held in like august/sept or something
username5484190
Rep:
?
(Original post by Desideri)
What kind of competition?
ideally something related to maths, statistics, biology, statistics, genetics, etc. Something related to scientific studies would be great,

Or something that requires a lot of writing - e.g. essay competition
username5484190
Rep:
?
the link isn’t working for me but it’s https://igo-official.ir
think they may be updating the website, usually held in like august/sept or something
thanks, will participating these competitions make UCAS applications stronger?
username5484190
Rep:
?
any other competitions would be appreciated!
ish101
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AsKim)
thanks, will participating these competitions make UCAS applications stronger?
depends on if you’re applying for a course related to the competition, and even then it will be beneficial provided you do well and your academics aren’t compromised. eg hacker cup/code jam are pretty difficult to do very well in, for a beginner so i’d max your grades first
username5484190
Rep:
?
depends on if you’re applying for a course related to the competition, and even then it will be beneficial provided you do well and your academics aren’t compromised. eg hacker cup/code jam are pretty difficult to do very well in, for a beginner so i’d max your grades first
i've finished my studies so i can spend as much time on competition.

the link seems be not working some reason? do you know any other competitions in biology or similar disciplines?
ish101
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AsKim)
i've finished my studies so i can spend as much time on competition.

the link seems be not working some reason? do you know any other competitions in biology or similar disciplines?
oh ok, great gl (;
no unfortunately i don’t know of any bio ones for gap year students
yeah maybe wait like a week or so? probs updating the website, the problems are pretty similar to IMO SL geo if you want some similar problems in the meantime
Last edited by ish101; 1 month ago
username5484190
Rep:
?
oh ok, great gl (;
no unfortunately i don’t know of any bio ones for gap year students
yeah maybe wait like a week or so? probs updating the website, the problems are pretty similar to IMO SL geo if you want some similar problems in the meantime
IMO SL geo is the one you sent a link right?
ish101
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AsKim)
IMO SL geo is the one you sent a link right?
oh no sorry that’s IGO (iranian geo), IMO SL is international maths olympiad shortlist, those problems are easily available here http://www.imo-official.org/problems.aspx.
i was saying geo problems from IMO are similar to the IGO if you wanted some problems to try
username5484190
Rep:
?
oh no sorry that’s IGO (iranian geo), IMO SL is international maths olympiad shortlist, those problems are easily available here http://www.imo-official.org/problems.aspx.
i was saying geo problems from IMO are similar to the IGO if you wanted some problems to try
ah nice thanks for your help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (11)
27.5%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (3)
7.5%
No I am happy with my choice (23)
57.5%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (3)
7.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed