aesamira
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hi!!

so ive applied to do a level computer science, maths and further maths next year in sixth form (wanting to do CS at uni) - and ive been quite doubtful about doing further maths as a third because of the workload, falling behind, not doing as well if i were to do three; etc & most of the people i know irl and my school strongly advise against doing four a levels so i was rly unsure on what to do lol.

after some research i read that doing further maths as a third a level won’t make you less competitive/hinder your application unless your applying for medicine. after finding this out i was a bit more reassured with my decision.

however, i came across this thread https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5208990 (it’s 3 years old by i suppose still relevant?) and now my worries have all come back

i’ve made threads like these before asking i should take fm as a third or fourth and i always get mixed opinions and now I’m just worried lol. if you have any advice/honest opinions pls let me know!!

should i take four a levels instead? should i take three without fm?? or will fm as a third not make a difference when applying for a CS degree???

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!
o_reo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
my advice would be to take fm as your fourth option for now.
you can always drop it some point in year 12 if you find the workload too much.

I think that when applying for computer science, taking only maths, fm and cs is fine, even for top unis
you should also note however that other people applying for cs at top unis are likely to be taking four a levels (usually maths, fm, physics, cs)
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
you don't need to take 4 a-levels, but keep in mind that some unis don't accept maths and fm as separate a-levels. depends where you're interested in applying really. most people who do maths and fm, if they are naturally 'quick' with maths, tend to find the workload not that bad.
emma7393
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think your question’s mostly been answered but just for a bit more reassurance I have a friend that does computer science at Southampton and did the exact same subjects (maths, fm, cs) and got in, but his school made him start off with four to see if he could handle the workload.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (19)
16.81%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (34)
30.09%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (12)
10.62%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (13)
11.5%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (5)
4.42%
I think it's an unfair expectation (28)
24.78%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
1.77%

Watched Threads