The Student Room Group

Teaching can be hard sometimes

So. Today we had an incident at work. Whereby I felt I was undermined. The hod called me to a meeting about a student who swore at me. But I was asked in this meeting in front of the student if I was sure that I heard him swear at me.

Why do I need to be asked twice in front of the student if he swore at me. Also he had a huge outburst at me before this. So I don’t get why I was being questioned about it. Did he not believe me or something?

Teaching
damn that must really suck. i’m sorry you have to put up with that, i bet it was soo frustrating.
Original post by Jammydodger39
So. Today we had an incident at work. Whereby I felt I was undermined. The hod called me to a meeting about a student who swore at me. But I was asked in this meeting in front of the student if I was sure that I heard him swear at me.

Why do I need to be asked twice in front of the student if he swore at me. Also he had a huge outburst at me before this. So I don’t get why I was being questioned about it. Did he not believe me or something?

Teaching

I agree that is really undermining. If your HoD had reason to doubt your report, they should have discussed it with you in private.

I think it would be fair to go back to your HoD and explain you felt undermined during the meeting and ask if this could be handled differently in the future. If you don't get a positive response, I'd consider taking this higher or involving your union.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
I agree that is really undermining. If your HoD had reason to doubt your report, they should have discussed it with you in private.

I think it would be fair to go back to your HoD and explain you felt undermined during the meeting and ask if this could be handled differently in the future. If you don't get a positive response, I'd consider taking this higher or involving your union.

I completely forgot I could have a chat to my unions. I will 100% do that. I don’t have long left thank heavens
Original post by Jammydodger39
I completely forgot I could have a chat to my unions. I will 100% do that. I don’t have long left thank heavens

Have you got a new job for September? Definitely sounds like you're well out of there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending