Student finance £4k

Watch
Leomontgomery
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey so I got my student finance approved and I’m getting £4.4k and I was just wondering where does that leave me? I’m hopefully going to uni of Leeds and my accommodation is about £160 per week but will my maintenance loan leave me broke? And how much will I get in first term etc? I’m abit clueless so would really appreciate some insight
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you only get the minimum that will be because of your parents' income. The expectation is that they will make up the difference to the max £9k (ish) that a student from a low income family would get.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Leomontgomery)
Hey so I got my student finance approved and I’m getting £4.4k and I was just wondering where does that leave me? I’m hopefully going to uni of Leeds and my accommodation is about £160 per week but will my maintenance loan leave me broke? And how much will I get in first term etc? I’m abit clueless so would really appreciate some insight
Has your household income been reviewed yet?

Probably not, as that's the minimum everyone studying outside of London is entitled to. This is normal. You'll receive another letter once your household income has been reviewed with the new figures.
Leomontgomery
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
Has your household income been reviewed yet?

Probably not, as that's the minimum everyone studying outside of London is entitled to. This is normal. You'll receive another letter once your household income has been reviewed with the new figures.
Hey yes it’s been reviewed and approved and that’s the amount they said I’ll be getting
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey yes it’s been reviewed and approved and that’s the amount they said I’ll be getting
Did you apply for more than the minimum as the decision on that seems to come separately after your parents have submitted their financial info.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Forgive my probing, but are you sure about that?

SFE tend to approve applications at the minimum amount so everyone has their tuition loan in place by the time your course starts, but then it takes them another few weeks to actually get around to processing your household income - it's at that point you'll receive a second entitlement summary with the updated amount of maintenance loan.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Realistically this will cover between 2/3 & 3/4 of your rent depending how many weeks your contract is for.

You’ll probably want £100 / week to have for food, social life & travel etc.

So you’ll either need family support or a summer job to top up your SFE maintenance loan.
lucyyy12
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
yeah it’s based on your parents income, if it was lower you’d get more.
so when you get to uni you’re going to have to budget strictly and find a part time job to cover the rest of the costs.
it’ll be tight but you should just about manage.
or if your parents are nice you can ask them for help every now and then
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (37)
14.98%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (77)
31.17%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (30)
12.15%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (21)
8.5%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (14)
5.67%
I think it's an unfair expectation (65)
26.32%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.21%

Watched Threads