The Student Room Group

Part Time Job during a gap year

Hi,

I've taken Maths Bio Chem A levels and it's highly likely to be 3A*, so with unsatisfactory results from 2020/2021 Admissions, I'm planning to take a gap year to apply for medicine.

What that means is that I have to revise some Biology materials for the interviews and also have to work on PS, UCAT and BMAT.

I'm now thinking of getting a part time job at a cafe which in case if I do it, I'll be working for 5 hours a day from Mon to Fri.

I wonder would it affect my preparation for admission and if it sounds like a plausible plan for a gap year.
Reply 1
No it’s a great idea. U will have transferable skills that u can talk about and earn money.

You will also learn to mange your time.

However it will mean a lot of hard work.

I say maybe do 2/3 hours or work on weekdays. And maybe 8 hours total on weekends.

Along as u fully understand everything and go through everything at least once u should be fine. Also remember to use space repetition and every couple weeks go over the material u have already learnt so it stays in long term memory.
Original post by hogwart
Hi,

I've taken Maths Bio Chem A levels and it's highly likely to be 3A*, so with unsatisfactory results from 2020/2021 Admissions, I'm planning to take a gap year to apply for medicine.

What that means is that I have to revise some Biology materials for the interviews and also have to work on PS, UCAT and BMAT.

I'm now thinking of getting a part time job at a cafe which in case if I do it, I'll be working for 5 hours a day from Mon to Fri.

I wonder would it affect my preparation for admission and if it sounds like a plausible plan for a gap year.

Maybe try to apply to an internship/ job at a place related to a medicine course as that could make you sure that's what you want to do, but also look better on an application and prepare you better for that sort of work. But working at a cafe is still better than doing nothing and can help you earn money.

Quick Reply

Latest