Work interview in rough suburb. What to do?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Moderators please ensure this post stays anonymous •

So, a couple weeks ago I was forced to start looking for alternative summer jobs as the company I was going to work for had to defer my contract to next year.

Anyway, during my job hunt, I came across this role which is exactly what I have done in the past and something which I thoroughly enjoy doing. However, the biggest problem is the location. The job is based in the same city where my best friend lives and from what they've said to me, it is actually in a suburb that is a notorious crime hotspot and is incredibly unsafe, even in the daytime.

Therefore, my question is, should I attend this interview despite the dodgy location or stick to my friend's advice and not go at all? The latter could mean I stay unemployed the entire summer but as a young female, I do get very anxious about my safety when out by myself.
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do more research. Stats will be available, and are they the kind of crimes that will be a threat to you personally, ie muggings or cars damaged? Do you think a company would be based there if it's staff was under regular threat?

If nothing else, it's interview practice, so I would say go and make your own mind up. Why not go to the city a day or 2 before the interview and visit the location to see what it's like, and check out the travel options if you got the job?
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is England not Johannesburg, nowhere's that dangerous
Last edited by ROTL94; 1 month ago
Scotney
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ROTL94)
This is England not Johannesburg, nowhere's that danger
Husband does not scare easy but walked away from a job in Hackney area after two shootings in a week!
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Surnia)
Do more research. Stats will be available, and are they the kind of crimes that will be a threat to you personally, ie muggings or cars damaged? Do you think a company would be based there if it's staff was under regular threat?

If nothing else, it's interview practice, so I would say go and make your own mind up. Why not go to the city a day or 2 before the interview and visit the location to see what it's like, and check out the travel options if you got the job?
Yes, maybe I'm too much of an optimist but this is my way of thinking.

Because hypothetically, if I did get the job, I would not be commuting on foot and that seems to be the most frequent types of crimes that happen there - assaults in the street, stabbings etc.

It's just unfortunate that my friend is completely against me going there and the last thing I want to do is upset them.
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
It's just unfortunate that my friend is completely against me going there and the last thing I want to do is upset them.
Why is your friend so involved in where you work? It doesn't matter what upsets them, do what is best for you and if that means taking this job, so be it!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (33)
29.73%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
9.01%
No I am happy with my choice (61)
54.95%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (7)
6.31%

Watched Threads