Hanyi Chen
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have four ALevels (Econ, Physics, Math, FurtherMath) all predicted A*s, and for iGCSE I have 6A*s, 1A, and a 7 in Edexcel. I'm doing an epq as well. Also, I have researh projects about multiculturalism and immigration going on. In terms of my academics, what'd be my chances of getting in to Oxford PPE?
SlaveofAll
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
60% in my estimation
Hanyi Chen
Rep:
?
(Original post by SlaveofAll)
60% in my estimation
Oh Thx!!! So would you say the things I need to work on are TSA and Interviews? Do different colleges have different "student type" preferences?
SlaveofAll
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Hanyi Chen)
Oh Thx!!! So would you say the things I need to work on are TSA and Interviews? Do different colleges have different "student type" preferences?
Each university has its own rules regarding applications, so you'll do better to search online about them.
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
PPE at Oxford - read it all - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni.../ppe-at-oxford

Applying to Oxford - https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...ying-to-oxford
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Only 8 GCSEs?
OxFossil
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have four ALevels (Econ, Physics, Math, FurtherMath) all predicted A*s, and for iGCSE I have 6A*s, 1A, and a 7 in Edexcel. I'm doing an epq as well. Also, I have researh projects about multiculturalism and immigration going on. In terms of my academics, what'd be my chances of getting in to Oxford PPE?
According to a recent Freedom of Information response, for PPE in recent years, the average number of A*s at GCSE is 8 (for those offered an interview) or 8.5 (for those offered a place). Between 24% and 38% of those interviewed had just 5 A*s. I would link it, but it seems to be broken, sorry.

As for different college preferences, there may be small variations, but nothing you should base an application around. You obviously have excellent predicted grades for A Level, so I'd suggest your main challenge now is getting equally excellent results in the TSA Entrance test.
azby1098
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by OxFossil)
According to a recent Freedom of Information response, for PPE in recent years, the average number of A*s at GCSE is 8 (for those offered an interview) or 8.5 (for those offered a place). Between 24% and 38% of those interviewed had just 5 A*s. I would link it, but it seems to be broken, sorry.

As for different college preferences, there may be small variations, but nothing you should base an application around. You obviously have excellent predicted grades for A Level, so I'd suggest your main challenge now is getting equally excellent results in the TSA Entrance test.
I agree with OxFossil - but just to add, the proportion of A*s is also considered not just the number of A*s. OP, for example has 75% A*s which is reasonably strong for Oxbridge applications, but falls on the actual amount of GCSEs. If this was due to what the school offered, then I do not think the OP will be penalised for this
liverninthered
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There is no way anyone can answer this because grades are are only factor in applications. It really depends on the TSA and interview. If you want to go to Oxford just apply and don't worry about whether you'll get in.

Ignore the 60% figure btw, that is plucked out of nowhere.
Hanyi Chen
Rep:
?
Thank you guys so much!!!! Actually I did a GCSE English lit this year, still waiting for the result. Actually the other students at my school have only 6 GCSEs so...
gaskell625
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes both Oxford and Cambridge prefer foreign students because they have more money. Trust me my dad's friends son went for an interview at Oxford he had all A*s perfect grades perfect study Hella smart he was from the North but they said no. So don't get your hopes up you may be a perfect academic student but Oxford and Cambridge likes student with money especially people from different countries. But good luck I hope you get it your super smart. so any university would take you in surely.
QHF
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Those are good grades, so you have the makings of a credible application. But no one on TSR can put a figure on your chances: there are far too many unknowables, including things not just about you but about the general strength of the cohort of applicants in the year you apply.

There is a sophisticated system for working out what your chances of admission in a given year are, and it’s the application process itself for that year. You can find out exactly what your chances are... by applying.

Instead of worrying about what your chances might be, put time and thought into specific, concrete things you can do day by day and week by week to improve them. Read up on the kind of additional, ‘super-curricular’ reading and thinking that applicants can do, and then do those things. What do you find most fascinating in the issues which a PPE degree might cover, and what are you doing (in practical, regular terms—this isn’t something that can be crammed at the last minute) to enhance your knowledge of debates about those issues? (That’s a rhetorical question for you to ask yourself: no need to tell me.) PPE, like any Oxford degree, involves a lot of self-directed reading and thought in your own time, around the core study work you do with your tutors. Might as well get started on that now: it’ll increase your chances of admission, and will mean that if you don’t get a place you’ll hit the ground running on the degree at some other very good university which you’ll be able to apply to with those grades.

Ignore anyone on TSR who says they can put a probability figure on your chances, and anyone who tries to reason a general rule from a single anecdotal example. Pace an earlier reply here, Oxford doesn’t prefer international applicants: they don’t consider applicants’ fee status in admissions decisions. If they did, there would equally well be an argument that they would prefer home students, because high-achieving international students are more likely to elicit attractive offers from elite universities elsewhere—e.g. funded packages from Ivy League schools in the US—and then not come to Oxford, messing up the relevant college’s carefully-planned entry numbers.

Different colleges don’t have preferred student types, beyond ‘good’. In each subject there’s a reallocation system in place so that students aren’t disadvantaged by their choice of college: applicants are routinely shuffled between colleges, and/or interviewed at multiple colleges, to ensure that good applicants don’t slip through the cracks because they happened to apply somewhere which had lots of applicants that year, or because they had one wonky interview.
Last edited by QHF; 1 month ago
Hanyi Chen
Rep:
?
Thank you so much for the long reply hhh! Understood. Just very nervous about application lol.
leviticus.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by azby1098)
I agree with OxFossil - but just to add, the proportion of A*s is also considered not just the number of A*s. OP, for example has 75% A*s which is reasonably strong for Oxbridge applications, but falls on the actual amount of GCSEs. If this was due to what the school offered, then I do not think the OP will be penalised for this
proportion of A*s isn't considered for PPE - just Medicine according to the published entry shortlisting criteria.
leviticus.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Most important aspect is your TSA; make sure you smash it and bear in mind it can be incredibly challenging for many applicants. Your GCSEs are below average and Oxford use them quite extensively so you're at a disadvantage there - your personal statement is largely irrelevant prior to the interview so your TSA will need to make up for the lack of A*s:
https://www.ppe.ox.ac.uk/files/ppead...isticsfinalpdf
https://www.ppe.ox.ac.uk/files/ppead...antsfinalv2pdf
Although check with your school, if your school only offered 6 for most (and you have done 9) then you overall grades may be much much better than the school average. Oxford like to use cGCSEs as linked so yours might be very high and if you have some contextual flags you will probably get an interview.
azby1098
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by leviticus.)
proportion of A*s isn't considered for PPE - just Medicine according to the published entry shortlisting criteria.
There’s a whatdotheyknow submission that talks about the calculation of the cGCSE score, that involves proportion of A* at GCSE. So, in fact, the proportion of A*s is considered for every subject. Although it is not looked at directly, it has taken into consideration when calculating the cGCSE score.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque..._passthrough=1
leviticus.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by azby1098)
There’s a whatdotheyknow submission that talks about the calculation of the cGCSE score, that involves proportion of A* at GCSE. So, in fact, the proportion of A*s is considered for every subject. Although it is not looked at directly, it has taken into consideration when calculating the cGCSE score.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque..._passthrough=1
Forgive me, its late and I'm v tired so might have misread, but doesn't the document say it looks the expected number of A*s of an individual applicant by using the proportion of students from their school who got 5 7-9 GCSE grades? So the individual's proportion of A*s isn't necessarily looked at for cGCSE but instead their school's proportion of students achieving 5 7-9 grades is to establish what they would expect the student's number of A*s to be and then compare that to their actual number of A*s to establish cGCSE? Again this could be wrong - I'm p tired.

Thanks for linking sources whenever I ask you about something though
Last edited by leviticus.; 1 month ago
youyouxue
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you need help with your PPE application, perhaps consider expressing interest for our (proposed) upcoming workshop:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=7051157
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (30)
15.63%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (60)
31.25%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (23)
11.98%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (16)
8.33%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (11)
5.73%
I think it's an unfair expectation (49)
25.52%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.56%

Watched Threads