Ali-liyyah
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey guys. Hope you’re all good. I’m going to be studying law at uni this September, and I just wondered if you guys who have studied it or are currently studying it to boost my excitement for the subject. Please can you answer the following questions, and post general advice as well please please.

• What would you say was/is your favourite topic?
• What are your favourite non-fiction books related to law?
• What are your favourite fiction books related to law?
• Any Netflix law series you would recommend
• Any law documentaries you’d recommend (on YouTube or Netflix)
• What’s your favourite case that you’ve studied?
• Apart from watching documentaries and reading, what other ways can I develop my passion to study law?

Also, this isn’t really related to developing my passion for law, but if you can provide me with some advice about staying organised and how to stay on top of the workload this would be very helpful. Also, how to find a study system that works for you, and what to remember for your first year of a law degree.

Sorry this was quite a long post. Any other pieces of advice would be very useful too, please. Thanks so much for all your help and advice in advance x
LawStudent456
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ali-liyyah)
Hey guys. Hope you’re all good. I’m going to be studying law at uni this September, and I just wondered if you guys who have studied it or are currently studying it to boost my excitement for the subject. Please can you answer the following questions, and post general advice as well please please.

• Apart from watching documentaries and reading, what other ways can I develop my passion to study law?

Also, this isn’t really related to developing my passion for law, but if you can provide me with some advice about staying organised and how to stay on top of the workload this would be very helpful. Also, how to find a study system that works for you, and what to remember for your first year of a law degree.

Sorry this was quite a long post. Any other pieces of advice would be very useful too, please. Thanks so much for all your help and advice in advance x
What uni?
Ali-liyyah
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
University of Surrey hopefully, but I just need these things for law in general
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you don't already have the passion going into it and need me and others to give it to you then why are you studying it?
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My impression of law degrees and law students while I was at uni (not studying law ) and also on TSR is that the hardest part of the degree seems to be convincing yourself it's actually interesting...
LawStudent456
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ROTL94)
If you don't already have the passion going into it and need me and others to give it to you then why are you studying it?
Don’t give us that crap lad. Do you really think all these thousands of law students that start every year have a ‘passion’ for law.
They don’t, and the majority still leave in 3 years with a 2:1
eduorclinpsych
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Eve Cornwell does fun videos that over the years have followed her journey to becoming a chartered lawyer. She recently accounted that she's accepted an associate position at one of the magic circle corporations.

As someone who doesn't study law but has always had an interest in it, I've found her passion and enthusiasm for the subject/profession to be revitalising.

Tips for staying organised - put everything in folders and use tabs. Any time a new key term or concept comes up, write it on a flash card and bank these as you move through your degree. It'll save SO much time when it's time to prepare for exams and also helps you categorise the wide scale of knowledge and content you'll learn.
camapplicant530
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
My impression of law degrees and law students while I was at uni (not studying law ) and also on TSR is that the hardest part of the degree seems to be convincing yourself it's actually interesting...
How helpful.
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
legal theory

The Social Contract - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Leviathan - Thomas Hobbes
A Theory of Justice - John Rawls
Toward A Feminist Theory of the State - Catherine MacKinnon
Law and the Modern Mind - Jerome Frank
The Harm in Hate Speech - Jeremy Waldron
Natural Law & Natural Rights - John Finnis

The Pelican Brief - John Grisham

The Good Wife
The Good Fight
(don't have Netflix tho so not sure if either are available )

RBG

R (Jackson) v Attorney General
R v A

the last question worries me cuz if you're not already passionate about law you might find you've taken the wrong degree. studying academic law is nothing (!) like how it looks on tv (nor is practising law for that matter. far from in fact actually, fyi). may i ask what made you choose to study law?
Last edited by Joleee; 1 month ago
The University of Law Students
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Oh this is a great thread for anyone studying law anywhere!

One of my favourite topics was 'Corroboration' as part as an evidence module.
Definitely have a read of 'Eve was framed' by Helena Kennedy
To Kill a Mocking Bird by Harper Lee
Can't recommend a Netflix and most dramas aren't realistic in my humble opinion
Good list here at Legal Cheek for documentaries: https://www.legalcheek.com/2020/09/7...85Fiol4rs8xKo0
Tower Hamlets v Bromley 2015 is interesting- it debates whether a statue is a fixture. It's a simple idea which led to some interesting commentary about 'social good'.
Other ways to develop your passion is to attend online sessions- get signed up to LinkedIn and follow firms or chambers that you are interested in, they will advertise events which you can sign up to. Also check out the events run by your university- I got involved in Mooting and its great fun.

Re workload do it little and often, it you leave large chunks to do in one go, you will quickly drown in it. Planning your time (and sticking to it) will be key if you want a social life and good grades!

Hope you get to love it as much as I do!

Nic
Student Ambassador at University of Law
hopeful-lawyer
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

• What would you say was/is your favourite topic? Anything in public law (except the whole ministerial responsibility topic) - for example, rule of law and the role of the courts
• What are your favourite non-fiction books related to law? Anything 'classic' - e.g. Adam Tomkins: Public law
• What are your favourite fiction books related to law? I don't have any!
• Any Netflix law series you would recommend - No, they're all unrealistic. But as a weird confidence booster, Suits makes me feel important! Not really from a legal standpoint, they're just all so cool and it makes me feel cool.
• Any law documentaries you’d recommend (on YouTube or Netflix) - I always quite liked any socio-legal ones. Netflix has a bunch
• What’s your favourite case that you’ve studied? - the Miller cases!
• Apart from watching documentaries and reading, what other ways can I develop my passion to study law? - Relax. Trust me, you'll get overwhelmed and bored doing too much!

Start working from day 1. Don't take breaks unless you need them. I was too kind to myself with taking breaks

I've added some comments in the post above, not sure if it'll work though
Catherine1973
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I did llb at 46 as I was interested in law.

Fave case was an equity one, to do with tracing stolen things into mixed goods. Normally it’s money but this was a man taking his wives beaver furs and mixing with his own to make a fur coat for his mistress!

Lawyer shows -stuff like this life /north square and some bbc shows called barristers.

I listen to podcast called law in action each week, which is enjoyable. And Marcus cleavers uk law weekly
Johnny ~
Report 1 month ago

If you want to boost your excitement for your particular course (as opposed to law in the broader sense), consider doing any introductory pre-reading that your university sets and doing some further digging into any areas that interest you.

When it came to reading about substantive law, my favourite website was Lexology because it was very technical and showed you the nitty gritty of actual legal practice (you can look for summaries of different areas of law and filter the articles you get based on your interests).
Last edited by Johnny ~; 1 month ago
Pearson Business School Rep
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Hi, I hope you are well.

I’m currently in my second year, going into my third year of my law degree in September. My favourite topic had to be criminal law so far. It was so interesting! My favourite non-fiction law books would be the two written by The Secret Barrister; The Law and how it is broken, and Fake Law. They were so well written and was really relevant to English law. I’m going to be honest, I couldn’t pick a favourite fiction book, there are too many good ones. Regarding law programmes, there are several that I have enjoyed but they are all American and unrealistic, so I don’t think they would be much help. I cannot think of a favourite case off of the top of my head, but all the tort law cases were great because they were ridiculous in an almost laughable way.

My advice in keeping organised would be to make sure you do all your pre-reading and notes and pre-seminar work before the lecture and seminar. Make notes during the lecture and add to the notes you already have. I find making the notes on the computer is easier so you can add to it if you miss something. Then print them off for revision purposes afterward. Mind maps are also great for revision.

I hope this helps.

Ilona - Pearson College London Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (11)
27.5%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (3)
7.5%
No I am happy with my choice (23)
57.5%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (3)
7.5%

Watched Threads