alg.xx
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have a quick question in regards to university. Essentially, I am interested in the PwC flying start degree accountancy program which will guarantee me a job with PwC (considering I achieve a 2:1 in my degree) after I finish my 3 ACA exams. I will also only have to complete 3 ACA exams (out of 15) to qualify as a chartered accountant once I’ve graduated , and I will then be working with PwC - one of the best accounting firms in the world. This program also comes with other benefits such as guaranteed paid work experience, which won’t meant I’ll have to apply to internships during the summer. I won’t also have to apply to graduate schemes after university (which can be very stressful as students usually apply to around 100 and only ever get a few offers). However, I do want to stay in London and the only university that is offering the flying start degree program in London is Queen Mary University of London, and I’m not entirely sure if this is a prestigious university. I’ve been looking at rankings for this university but league tables can sometimes be quite unreliable. However, Queen Mary seems to be placed 41st overall and 24th for my degree, despite it being a Russel group university; according to QS, I think it’s around 201-250th in the world. I do intend to work abroad in the future so I was wondering, does ranking really matter and will I be disadvantaged for going to this university? Is Queen Mary University of London even prestigious? Will I have better career prospects by going to universities such as Manchester or Nottingham? The course is on offer at other ‘more prestigious’ universities such as Nottingham and Manchester, but I really want to stay in London as it will save me around 9k in student maintenance loans a year. Thanks for reading!
micholate9
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
QM is generally considered a good university. To be honest, your work experience at the placements will count for more on your CV. Once you graduate, it doesn't generally matter where you went to uni unless you're interested in academia.

I worked at Deloitte. There were people from all kinds of unis and nobody really cared and it did not matter in the slightest when they were applying for their next jobs.
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
When you refer to working abroad in the future do you have specific countries in mind?
alg.xx
Rep:
?
(Original post by ajj2000)
When you refer to working abroad in the future do you have specific countries in mind?
Yes Dubai. Manchester is more internationally recognised and even has connections with Dubai so that’s why I’m leading towards going there.
alg.xx
Rep:
?
(Original post by mitalimishra)
QM is generally considered a good university. To be honest, your work experience at the placements will count for more on your CV. Once you graduate, it doesn't generally matter where you went to uni unless you're interested in academia.

I worked at Deloitte. There were people from all kinds of unis and nobody really cared and it did not matter in the slightest when they were applying for their next jobs.
Is it considered a good degree for accountancy?
micholate9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by alg.xx)
Is it considered a good degree for accountancy?
I'm afraid I don't know about this particular degree. But what I can tell you is that people I worked with had a range of degrees from English to science to even Greek!
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

this.
alg.xx
Rep:
?

Do you think the same line of thinking will apply to companies abroad - especially Dubai?
micholate9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do you think the same line of thinking will apply to companies abroad - especially Dubai?
Personally, yes I think they will value experience more.
Nobody2u
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have a quick question in regards to university. Essentially, I am interested in the PwC flying start degree accountancy program which will guarantee me a job with PwC (considering I achieve a 2:1 in my degree) after I finish my 3 ACA exams. I will also only have to complete 3 ACA exams (out of 15) to qualify as a chartered accountant once I’ve graduated , and I will then be working with PwC - one of the best accounting firms in the world. This program also comes with other benefits such as guaranteed paid work experience, which won’t meant I’ll have to apply to internships during the summer. I won’t also have to apply to graduate schemes after university (which can be very stressful as students usually apply to around 100 and only ever get a few offers). However, I do want to stay in London and the only university that is offering the flying start degree program in London is Queen Mary University of London, and I’m not entirely sure if this is a prestigious university. I’ve been looking at rankings for this university but league tables can sometimes be quite unreliable. However, Queen Mary seems to be placed 41st overall and 24th for my degree, despite it being a Russel group university; according to QS, I think it’s around 201-250th in the world. I do intend to work abroad in the future so I was wondering, does ranking really matter and will I be disadvantaged for going to this university? Is Queen Mary University of London even prestigious? Will I have better career prospects by going to universities such as Manchester or Nottingham? The course is on offer at other ‘more prestigious’ universities such as Nottingham and Manchester, but I really want to stay in London as it will save me around 9k in student maintenance loans a year. Thanks for reading!
If you get your ACA qualifications first time round no-one will worry about where your degree came from! At least that's what I found having done a economics degree at Loughborough and my ACA in London with a big 4 company. I then moved to mainland Europe and the only thing that mattered was my first time passes and my client experience.
Last edited by Nobody2u; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (36)
28.35%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (11)
8.66%
No I am happy with my choice (71)
55.91%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (9)
7.09%

Watched Threads