edakanari
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi all,

So i been accepted to start my course in Jan which gives me some time until it starts and I have been talking to friends who said that the placement and particularly the first ones are brutally hard that they are physically demanding they just sleep once they arrive home at the end of their shift.

So here is my issue, I have been working an office job for the last 10 years so this would be a big adjustment as I am not the fittest person in the world and currently just overweight (Thanks lockdown) but I do currently walk most places and am quite strong just not flexible but i need to start going to the gym not it's open

So my question is placement really that hard and what exercises would anyone recommend
vicoria86
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by edakanari)
Hi all,

So i been accepted to start my course in Jan which gives me some time until it starts and I have been talking to friends who said that the placement and particularly the first ones are brutally hard that they are physically demanding they just sleep once they arrive home at the end of their shift.

So here is my issue, I have been working an office job for the last 10 years so this would be a big adjustment as I am not the fittest person in the world and currently just overweight (Thanks lockdown) but I do currently walk most places and am quite strong just not flexible but i need to start going to the gym not it's open

So my question is placement really that hard and what exercises would anyone recommend
following this as i also startr palcement in january, wishing you luck xx
Oxford Brookes University
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by edakanari)
Hi all,

Hiya Nursing student here!

Congratulations on getting in!!
Answering your questions (in reverse order just to be awkward )
Keep on walking! Let me tell you depending on the length of your shift you could be doing up to 10,000 steps upwards. In the first year as you are still new, it may be more mentally stimulating the physically stimulating (not that you'll be any less tired!) But as you get used to your ward and the roles you can do your body gets accustomed to the excersise and it won't seem like such a strain.

Now for placement being difficult I personally think it depends on how you are with time management. Let me explain:
To qualify in Nursing you will need to achieve a certain number of hours by the end of your 3-year course, this is further split down to hours per year and hours per placement. Now assuming that your first placement is on a standard ward 0700 start and 2100 finish (you may be doing 14 hours per day or just 7.5 hours if you choose to do half days). you would simply calculate the hours per placement by the weeks you would be at placement.

e.g. a 10-week placement requires you to have achieved 300 hours by the end you would divide 300 by 10 to receive 30 and you would then have to allocate those hours during your week. So you may decide to do 4 half days per week or two long days each week with a half-day every other week to keep on top of achieving 30 hours per week.

Now you also have to factor in other things such as assignments that you may be doing, working on top of placement and importantly transit time to and from placement which can make placement look daunting but remember that your mentors both in school and in placement are here to help and after a few weeks you find your feet!

Hope this helps
Goodness
Last edited by Oxford Brookes University; 1 month ago
millsr
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hiya, I'm also starting my nursing course soon, and a couple of the nursing students and registered nurses that I know have recommended trying to build up strength in your core, as you'll likely be lifting patients at times which can do serious damage to your back if you don't have the strength for it. Pilates and yoga can help to build core strength, as well as exercises targeting your abs. Good luck with your course!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (37)
14.8%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (78)
31.2%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (30)
12%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (21)
8.4%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (14)
5.6%
I think it's an unfair expectation (67)
26.8%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.2%

Watched Threads