How do I write a good personal statement?

Watch
Amin7
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
How do I write a personal statement if I don't know which course I am going to do?
University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Amin7)
How do I write a personal statement if I don't know which course I am going to do?
Hi!

If you're writing a statement that should apply to multiple courses, it's a good idea to focus on what you have gained from experiences, not the experience itself. This way you're able to mention experience that is relevant to everywhere you're applying while not excluding either course. For example, if you have work experience relevant to one of your courses, mention what skills you developed from this that might be applicable to both courses, such as working independently.

If you need more specific help with your personal statement, your current school probably has someone that can help, perhaps with the careers services. They will be a good place to get some pointers as they've helped write more personal statements than anyone.

Hope this has helped a bit,
Cameron
Student Ambassador
lol.yolo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Amin7)
When you say you don't know which course you'll do, is this because you're applying for a couple different subjects or because you haven't yet decided where to apply/what to apply for?

What are the courses you're looking at? See if there's overlap in the skills/qualities needed and write about those. A PS for different subjects in the same subject area (I wrote one for sociology/social policy/politics/social research data) is easier than one for completely different subjects (a friend wrote one for geography/maths/law). The latter is still doable but will be obvious you applied for different subjects.
The University of Law Students
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The other posters have made some great points. To add to them, I would also say think about the skills that you will need across different courses- so for example, organisational skills- can you use an example for organisation across all subjects (talking about use of diaries or online calendars or apps that you use for timetables)? Also dealing with difficult circumstances, or working under pressure, or learning to write, edit and review, or demonstrating an eye for detail or team working- there are lots of skills that will be useful to many courses that you can talk about in all of your personal statements.

Additionally, if you don't know what course you want to do, do you know what career you want to go into? Perhaps you have decided that you definitely want to work with animals, or perhaps you have a love of numbers, or perhaps you know you want to help people- so although you may not know an exact job title, you can think about the types of work that goes on and how certain courses will help you get to that job. Then you can talk generally about the skills you want to develop through a course and why.

Here's a good resource to have a look at too: https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/a...onal-statement

Hope that helps!
Nic
Student Ambassador at the University of Law
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You can't write a decent PS if it is vague/for multiple courses. You should narrow down your choices - think about the subjects you do now and what you enjoy, what you might want to do in the future. Look at uni websites/order prospectuses
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (37)
15.04%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (76)
30.89%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (30)
12.2%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (21)
8.54%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (14)
5.69%
I think it's an unfair expectation (65)
26.42%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.22%

Watched Threads