Bambap
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'd like to apply for Natsci at Cambridge and Durham and medicine at 3 other universities. Is this sensible? I don't want to do a straight science subject such as chemistry, so can't find anything else I like other than the Natsci courses. If I don't get an offer for Natsci the only other subject/career of interest is medicine. School says personal statements/references can only prioritize one of these streams and not both and I need to choose. Any thoughts?
Last edited by Bambap; 1 month ago
amber0321
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi! I’m not too sure on natsci courses but if you’d prefer to do that, you might be better looking at other universities that offer it also. It’s a bit difficult to link a medicine personal statement in with any other subjects (exception of medical sciences, biomed & anatomy related courses), and if you’d prefer to do natsci anyway, you’d be wasting a large amount of time preparing for ucat, interviews etc.

I’ve had a look at universities that offer natsci, and I’ve noticed Bath & Leicester also offer it, along with many other universities - might be worth having a look into them also?

Quick add on: You definitely can put multiple subjects into a personal statement, but medicine personal statements are generally incredibly medicine focused so it might be difficult to link with natsci

Good luck for whatever you decide!
Last edited by amber0321; 1 month ago
Sandtrooper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Bambap)
I'd like to apply for Natsci at Cambridge and Durham and medicine at 3 other universities. Is this sensible? I don't want to do a straight science subject such as chemistry, so can't find anything else I like other than the Natsci courses. If I don't get an offer for Natsci the only other subject/career of interest is medicine. School says personal statements/references can only prioritize one of these streams and not both and I need to choose. Any thoughts?
Not going to be possible with an Oxbridge application. You need to show dedication to the course which you won't be able to when covering two subjects.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Pretty sure Cambridge NatSci specifically states they will not consider applicants with a medicine personal statement, although I may be wrong or this may have changed.

Not sure about Durham; I know someone who originally was applying to medicine, who later ended up at Durham during a gap year, but I don't know if she reapplied to medicine in the gap year or just applied to Durham after not applying to medicine...

For what it's worth Oxford Biomedical Sciences (and Human Sciences, incidentally) also specifically state they don't consider applicants with a medicine personal statement.

In terms of medicine personal statements, I believe some medical schools don't consider the personal statement but I think most do. I imagine any personal statement that doesn't demonstrate a very clear and consistent commitment to medicine would be likely to be rejected pre-interview if personal statements are considered...
Bambap
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Pretty sure Cambridge NatSci specifically states they will not consider applicants with a medicine personal statement, although I may be wrong or this may have changed.

Not sure about Durham; I know someone who originally was applying to medicine, who later ended up at Durham during a gap year, but I don't know if she reapplied to medicine in the gap year or just applied to Durham after not applying to medicine...

For what it's worth Oxford Biomedical Sciences (and Human Sciences, incidentally) also specifically state they don't consider applicants with a medicine personal statement.

In terms of medicine personal statements, I believe some medical schools don't consider the personal statement but I think most do. I imagine any personal statement that doesn't demonstrate a very clear and consistent commitment to medicine would be likely to be rejected pre-interview if personal statements are considered...
Thanks- Even if I did medicine, my interest is in being a clinical academic. I'm a people person and envisage an academic role with students/patients/conferences/research teams. Will a personal statement that is explicit about this be good for both subjects? Its such a struggle for me to decide between medicine and Natsci. Only Cambridge or Durham's Natsci courses seem interesting. And with medicine as I don't have biology A/L, I have fewer universities to choose from and like more traditional teaching or problem based (Oxbridge Bristol but not Queen Mary/Keele).
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks- Even if I did medicine, my interest is in being a clinical academic. I'm a people person and envisage an academic role with students/patients/conferences/research teams. Will a personal statement that is explicit about this be good for both subjects? Its such a struggle for me to decide between medicine and Natsci. Only Cambridge or Durham's Natsci courses seem interesting. And with medicine as I don't have biology A/L, I have fewer universities to choose from and like more traditional teaching or problem based (Oxbridge Bristol but not Queen Mary/Keele).
If you don't want to actually train to be a doctor then don't do a medical degree. You don't need a medical degree to do (bio)medical research. Also no matter what, all medical degrees will include a signifcant clinical portion because this is the point of the course. If you are only interested in the "preclinical" academic elements then you should look at degrees in e.g. biomedical science, physiology, anatomical sciences, other biosciences etc as applicable. You really need to be commited to medicine first, to do a medical degree. In the process of that you may become more involved in academic research, but if that is your primary goal and clinical work as a doctor is secondary, I would probably suggest you aim for a traditional academic degree as above and not do medicine unless/until you are certain you want to be treating patients etc as your main priority.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks- Even if I did medicine, my interest is in being a clinical academic. I'm a people person and envisage an academic role with students/patients/conferences/research teams. Will a personal statement that is explicit about this be good for both subjects?
Not really no. Apart from maybe Oxbridge, I think you'd get immediately pinned as someone who doesn't really want to do a lifelong medical career.

Its such a struggle for me to decide between medicine and Natsci.
Yeah, but you need to decide! Even if you have to take a gap year to work it out - it'd be worth it rather than starting onthe wrong route.

Currently you're basically letting your entire life direction depend on whether you get into NatSci or not i.e. luck basically. Not a way to be making your major life decisions, generally!

It seems that in reality you want to do science, but for an unstated reason don't want to keep things very broad. Have you looked into biochemistry, chemistry, physics degrees at top unis? Because they do have a range of areas which do overlap. For example in chemistry at Oxford will cover physical chemistry and quantum physics with a lot of matrices-based maths, rates of reaction with higher order differential equations, right down to organic and biochemistry. That's a big range.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (5)
50%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (0)
0%
No I am happy with my choice (5)
50%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (0)
0%

Watched Threads