The Student Room Group

Question regarding Student Finance and FE / HNCs

Hey

So I was reading this: https://www.gov.uk/further-education-courses
and it says FE funding for 19 and under includes HNC / HND courses not taken as part of an undergrad degree... what does this mean?

For example, say I was to finish my A-Levels and they didn't go as well as I planned, could I do a HNC course with funding from the college and not have it be taken from my university Tuition Fee budget? If doing a 4 year degree (3 year + year in industry) afterwards would I still be funded for the whole thing?

Would this still be the case if rather than skipping to 2nd year (which I've read some HNC's may allow?) you choose to sit the first year in campus. I only ask because essentially would one have not sat the first year twice?

Thank you. Sorry if this is barely readable lol - I can barely make sense of it all myself.
It generally depends on the specific course the HNC/HND is. So Scottish HNC/HNDs are classed as FE courses and BTEC HND/HNC courses will usually be classed as FE but HNC/HND courses awarded by a university and not Pearson/BTEC or SQA will be classed as HE courses for funding purposes.

The classification of the funding for the HNC/HND will determine whether it is counted as previous study when you apply for HE funding for a degree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending