Why do people have sex outside marriage?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
It might be because I am a religious person. But I have never understood this concept.

I think I am too bored that I am posting this.
Flxmz
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Because marriage can be a daunting long process. You would wanna enjoy your 20s. Plus finding the right woman, the woman who you want to raise your children with is not easy especially in today’s generation. Yeah
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Because people realised that sexually repressing themselves until marriage (marriage is becoming less and less common now) is ****.
depp6324
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Just to clarify, do you mean people cheating on their spouses whilst married or just single people?
Justvisited
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ROTL94)
Because people realised that sexually repressing themselves until marriage (marriage is becoming less and less common now) is ****.
Loaded term for self-control wouldn't you say? What about keeping off fattening foods etc.
samcerse
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Because majority of people’s goal is not to wait until the marriage, or at least not strong enough so they fail. When you start dating someone you the excitement and curiosity builds up which is natural, but it’s all about self control.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by depp6324)
Just to clarify, do you mean people cheating on their spouses whilst married or just single people?
Single people. Might keep cheating spouses to kill boredom on a different day.
username5173262
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Marriage is too big a commitment to wait to get the cat for.
Marriage is for life, the cat is for 2 and a half minutes :yy:
Mr T 999
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Because its fun.
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Justvisited)
Loaded term for self-control wouldn't you say? What about keeping off fattening foods etc.
Not really, IDK if you know this but life doesn't have to be all delayed gratification and self induced suffering for some nebulus notion of a 'greater good' whatever that means.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Plenty of possible reasons.
To gain sexual experience without formal commitment, establish their sex drive/sexual compatibility, enjoy casual hookups, no desire to ever marry but want to have sexual relationships or children.

My mother and maternal grandmother both support sexual abstinence until marriage for religious reasons.
I don't.
Anonymous #1
You can always masturbate though. Can't you?
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
You can always masturbate though. Can't you?
But isn't that a sin too?
shooonthebeat
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Marriage is a huge commitment that a lot of people don't want. Quite often these days they end in divorce anyways. People just wanna have sex for fun without any big commitments.
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
Not really, IDK if you know this but life doesn't have to be all delayed gratification and self induced suffering for some nebulus notion of a 'greater good' whatever that means.
so what happens after that pleasure is gone
username5173262
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
lol prsom
Interea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It doesn't have much reason to be connected to marriage in the first place, it's just something some people find enjoyable - yes it is technically for the purpose of pregnancy, but with the availability of birth control options (and abortions if that fails) pregnancy is hardly a major concern for many people having sex, and instead they're just having a good time. It's like expecting people not to dance or watch films or anything else they do for fun until they've signed a legal document.
OctoberRain7
Badges: 15
Report 4 weeks ago
Because marriage is a rather arbitrary marker of commitment to a person such that using marriage as an indicator that people should be able to have sex holds up for no other reason than being a requirement in certain religions.
shooonthebeat
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Apparently it's only a sin if it's used as a means to "cheat" on your significant other. If it's just to deal with your desires as a single person then it's fine.
Anonymous #1
I guess I have to reveal that I am Muslim. Masturbation is a minor sin. Sex outside marriage is a major sin.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (11)
6.51%
Uncertainty around my education (17)
10.06%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (18)
10.65%
Lack of purpose or motivation (24)
14.2%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (11)
6.51%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (7)
4.14%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (14)
8.28%
Financial worries (9)
5.33%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (5)
2.96%
Exposure to negative news/social media (13)
7.69%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (5)
2.96%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (21)
12.43%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (14)
8.28%

Watched Threads