emotional support bunnies

Watch
Levi-Jai
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
i am thinking about getting a mental and emotional support rabbit/s. i have hearing impairments, anxiety, depression, PTSD, tics, etc. can anyone give me any tips for looking after them please?
athena5967
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
if you get them when they’re not babies (when they need to be held a lot) make sure to set time out of your day to get them used to you.
dont try and hold them instantly either. bunnies can easily die of fright so best to let them get used to you.
try sitting in the corner of their pen (please dont let them live in those hutches - give them a full pen outside thats nice and secure and/or a large area inside preferably a small room - nothing huge but somewhere they can stretch their legs) and gradually move closer and let them come up to you without you moving your hand or anything. even if you have tics once their used to them that wont scare them.
you could even do things in their pen like read a book or do some work on your laptop so you dont get bored in there. by exposing the rabbits to you theyll get used to you and feel more comfortable when you finally get to the holding stage. some rabbits might adjust quickly whereas others will take months - unfortunately thats just how it is.

also if you get rabbits i recommend getting two unless you’re going to be around them frequently as bunnies can get lonely - theyre very sociable creatures

lastly boy rabbits (bucks) are generally the easier first time gender to get - less territorial less destructive and more outgoing. from the few rabbits weve had and heard anyway.

hope this helps!

OH AND DONT FORGET TO BUNNY-PROOF THE PLACE LIKE HOW YOU WOULD FOR BABIES
Levi-Jai
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by athena5967)
if you get them when they’re not babies (when they need to be held a lot) make sure to set time out of your day to get them used to you.
dont try and hold them instantly either. bunnies can easily die of fright so best to let them get used to you.
try sitting in the corner of their pen (please dont let them live in those hutches - give them a full pen outside thats nice and secure and/or a large area inside preferably a small room - nothing huge but somewhere they can stretch their legs) and gradually move closer and let them come up to you without you moving your hand or anything. even if you have tics once their used to them that wont scare them.
you could even do things in their pen like read a book or do some work on your laptop so you dont get bored in there. by exposing the rabbits to you theyll get used to you and feel more comfortable when you finally get to the holding stage. some rabbits might adjust quickly whereas others will take months - unfortunately thats just how it is.

also if you get rabbits i recommend getting two unless you’re going to be around them frequently as bunnies can get lonely - theyre very sociable creatures

lastly boy rabbits (bucks) are generally the easier first time gender to get - less territorial less destructive and more outgoing. from the few rabbits weve had and heard anyway.

hope this helps!

OH AND DONT FORGET TO BUNNY-PROOF THE PLACE LIKE HOW YOU WOULD FOR BABIES
this is mega helpful, thankyou so much. the are going to have a hutch as well as a run, because only have a small garden and cant leave them out in the run at night, as they may escape. they'll be brought indoors as well in the winter, so they dont get too cold during the day x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (38)
15.02%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (79)
31.23%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (30)
11.86%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (21)
8.3%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (14)
5.53%
I think it's an unfair expectation (68)
26.88%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.19%

Watched Threads