info on: english lit, psychology, sociology,

Watch
seasaltfresh
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
taking these next year - have already done a LOT of research but was wondering what other people thought about taking them including relation to gcse english and more! Thanks!
SB1234567890
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've just finished year 13 and did psychology and sociology. I found that they complimented each other really well, particularly due to the overlap of research methods. I personally found sociology more interesting overall but the year 2 content was more interesting for psychology. I liked how both had flexibility in terms of what sociologists/evaluation points you choose to revise in order to reduce the amount of content. I found that learning and understanding the content was fine for both (apart from biopsychology and action theories like phenomenology and ethnomethodology which I took longer to get my head around). There was more pressure to write fast in order to complete questions in exam conditions for sociology but it was manageable for both

Hope this helps and I'm happy to answer any specific questions you have
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
heya, just finished my first year of uni but did a level english lit and psychology.
psychology objectively isn't that difficult, the content isn't that difficult to understand but there is a lot to commit to memory so make sure you're revising little and often. also do lots of practice questions (the 16 markers especially) and hand these to your teacher to mark, i found my answers improved a lot the more practice i did and the more feedback i got. i really enjoyed psychology and found most of the content interesting, it was probably my most enjoyable a-level.
english lit was a lot of work and effort so be prepared for the workload. if you can read some of your texts in the summer before you study them then you'll probably be at a big advantage, i wish i did. do lots of practice essays in timed conditions. i found my improvement in english lit to be slow but obviously this'll depend on the student. make sure you know the mark scheme well and definitely look at high-grade exemplar essays to see what they did right. there's not a massive difference between gsce and a level english bit but a more sophisticated writing style is expected and you need to know your texts really well.
JT_888
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by seasaltfresh)
taking these next year - have already done a LOT of research but was wondering what other people thought about taking them including relation to gcse english and more! Thanks!
Hey! I've just finished my second year of uni and I did A-level sociology. I would say that sociology as a subject isn't too difficult to wrap your head around, but similar to psychology, it is content-heavy and there's a lot to remember. It's good practice to do AO1 knowledge tests and practice questions ranging from short answer questions to longer answer questions which are in the form of an essay. Also, pester your teacher for feedback, it will really help! Just to add, I didn't intend to take A-level sociology back when I did it because I wanted to study politics, but my school didn't offer it and I took this instead. It's a great subject to study and I don't have any regrets.

P.S. At least you won't be covering the works of Foucault that much as his theories aren't as straightforward to wrap your head around.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (53)
28.96%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
8.2%
No I am happy with my choice (101)
55.19%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (14)
7.65%

Watched Threads