The Student Room Group

HCPC Registration

I have just graduated with a registration portfolio and from an accredited IBMS Biomedical Science degree. I need to start applying for jobs and they ask for HCPC registered candidates. I wanted to know how do i get HCPC registered.

I was told I had to wait for the IBMS certificate as my uni will send the result then I need to apply myself to HCPC but how long do I have to wait for it. Can I apply to jobs without my registration and letting them know it is in the process or do I have to wait for the full registration to be complete?

Also another question... I have seen jobs where BMS now work from home? how does that work?? I thought they all had to be physically in the lab. This job was in molecular pathology department.

Any help appreciated!!
You need to send an application off to become registered. Just to preface this, it’s what my course leader has told me, so sorry if any of it may be a bit off. When the IBMS is informed of you passing your degree they will pair that up with the forms from you passing the verification. They then send this information to the HCPC. My course leader has said to me to wait a week or two from when your grades were confirmed and sent to the IBMS and then send the application form off.

Yes, you can apply for jobs without your registration, you’d just need to put this in your supporting evidence. I did this and I have my job lined up!

Not sure about the working from home thing though, sorry!

I hope this vaguely helps!
Reply 2
Wow that was super helpful! So I will wait....2 weeks before i send my application then!

Just wondering, are you applying to be band 5 BMS in NHS lab?
Original post by plower
Wow that was super helpful! So I will wait....2 weeks before i send my application then!

Just wondering, are you applying to be band 5 BMS in NHS lab?

Yeah I’ve got a Band 5 BMS position in an NHS hospital lab :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Beecar98

ooo congrats!

You know I just applied online in the NHS job Trac website, and I clicked "Yes" for 'are you HCPC registered?' (that was the first question) annnnnnd the application ended and rejected me automatically. even if i said 'no' it would still reject me. Pretty sure they checked with HCPC system if I really am registered. Anyway that was a bummer. I guess I have to wait till i am fully registered.
Original post by plower
ooo congrats!

You know I just applied online in the NHS job Trac website, and I clicked "Yes" for 'are you HCPC registered?' (that was the first question) annnnnnd the application ended and rejected me automatically. even if i said 'no' it would still reject me. Pretty sure they checked with HCPC system if I really am registered. Anyway that was a bummer. I guess I have to wait till i am fully registered.

Only some of them have that as a requirement question. But I applied to the two that had it and I ticked yes (I had contacted the labs first to make sure that was okay though). How odd
Sorry I don’t really have any additional advice - but keep looking, maybe some you like the look of won’t have it
Good luck with the job search :smile:
Reply 6
Ahh so some won't have it, okay I will keep on looking, thank you! and good luck to you too!
I was a registered BMS before I had even had my graduation ceremony, or received my certificate from the University. Once you've passed, you've passed. Admittedly it did make the graduation ceremony all seem a little pointless!
Reply 8
Original post by RegisteredBMS
I was a registered BMS before I had even had my graduation ceremony, or received my certificate from the University. Once you've passed, you've passed. Admittedly it did make the graduation ceremony all seem a little pointless!

ahh I don't think i was eligible after completing my registration portfolio during placement. Like i had to wait after my final result came out and that time has now come.
Reply 9

Hello, I have got another question if you don't mind! I don't have to include my Certificate of Competence by the IBMS in my application right? as it says "You do not need to send us a copy of your award certificate unless you successfully completed a UK approved programme more than two years ago."

And the validating body is 'IBMS' isnt it?
Original post by plower
Hello, I have got another question if you don't mind! I don't have to include my Certificate of Competence by the IBMS in my application right? as it says "You do not need to send us a copy of your award certificate unless you successfully completed a UK approved programme more than two years ago."

And the validating body is 'IBMS' isnt it?

Yes, that is correct :smile:
Reply 11
Yes, that is correct :smile:

CHEERS! also it says 'your profession' right at the start after stating the name (page 1), do i write 'student' or 'biomedical scientist'
Original post by plower
CHEERS! also it says 'your profession' right at the start after stating the name (page 1), do i write 'student' or 'biomedical scientist'

Biomedical Scientist since that’s what you’re applying to be registered for (I think anyway, I haven’t sent mine off yet because my grades aren’t confirmed!)
Reply 13
Biomedical Scientist since that’s what you’re applying to be registered for (I think anyway, I haven’t sent mine off yet because my grades aren’t confirmed!)

Ahh thankyou again, I dont know why i'm finding it confusing hahaha! You've been a great help!

Ooooh i see, best of luck for that!
Original post by plower
Ahh thankyou again, I dont know why i'm finding it confusing hahaha! You've been a great help!

Ooooh i see, best of luck for that!

It’s all good, no worries, if you have any more questions or just wanna chat about it feel free to PM me! I’m happy to help if I can :smile:
Reply 15
It’s all good, no worries, if you have any more questions or just wanna chat about it feel free to PM me! I’m happy to help if I can :smile:

Thanks I will keep that in mind!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending