aki9834
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I'm having a slight crisis about if I've made the right choice in picking to study Economics next year - I realised I don't have any passion for maths and the Uni I will be attending is great but has an extremely mathematical course. I don't want to go end up regretting my choices and wishing I had applied for something else, which is why I've been considering taking a gap year. I think I would reapply next year for perhaps PPE, since I would still have the opportunity to study economics, but still have more room to explore other subjects and do less maths.

My issue is that I have no idea what I would actually do during my gap year - I would preferably want to get some sort of internship so I can have stability but there don't seem to be many opportunities. I ultimately just don't want to regret giving up my space at uni to waste a year, but I also don't want to have regrets while on my course.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you.
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Do you live in an area where its relatively easy to get entry level jobs (warehouse work, hospitality, shops etc) so you have a fall back position?
nref
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I'm in a similar position, applied and on track to go to uni in September but I don't know if it's right for me right now. I like the course and the uni and everything but I wonder if taking a year out might be good for me.

Like you, I have no idea what I'd do though, as working or having an internship would be really good but part of me would love to travel, which is very difficult at the moment. I guess if there's some sort of related job or internship you can get over the summer that might give more opportunities for a gap year. A standard summer job is okay but obviously, something that gives experience is ideal.

It might be worth creating a CV and emailing around to local places where you might be interested in interning or working, where you can gain experience. There's bound to be even something online for you to do as well, online internship or work experience, depending on where you look and what for.

I wanted to ask for your advice as well - I really like my course and my offer is really good, but I fear that asking for a deferral won't be possible and I'll have to reapply next year, where my offer might be different. Do you know if unis accept late deferrals or will they make you reapply?
aki9834
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by nref)
I'm in a similar position, applied and on track to go to uni in September but I don't know if it's right for me right now. I like the course and the uni and everything but I wonder if taking a year out might be good for me.

Like you, I have no idea what I'd do though, as working or having an internship would be really good but part of me would love to travel, which is very difficult at the moment. I guess if there's some sort of related job or internship you can get over the summer that might give more opportunities for a gap year. A standard summer job is okay but obviously, something that gives experience is ideal.

It might be worth creating a CV and emailing around to local places where you might be interested in interning or working, where you can gain experience. There's bound to be even something online for you to do as well, online internship or work experience, depending on where you look and what for.

I wanted to ask for your advice as well - I really like my course and my offer is really good, but I fear that asking for a deferral won't be possible and I'll have to reapply next year, where my offer might be different. Do you know if unis accept late deferrals or will they make you reapply?
I agree! I would love to travel and you know feel a bit more independent and mature before jumping into university. I would think about what you want to gain from taking the gap year, and if you think you would regret not taking one. Honestly, I've heard quite a lot of good things about gap years and I've been looking at possibly doing a workaway, which you might be interested in.

As far as I know, most unis will very much try to process a deferral for you, given that you provide a sort of outline on why, and what you would do. I think it would be good just to email your uni to see what their policy is and kind of gauge what the situation would be like; if they don't allow it, I would maybe rethink it (just because it seems like you are pretty happy with your course and uni). What is your course?

Feel free to PM me!!!! (I tried but I don't think I can since my user is still new D: )
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (357)
84%
No (68)
16%

Watched Threads