lou88811
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I’m doing EPQ and we started it in September but our school was kind of unprepared so most people started research around March. Anyways, my epq is ‘to what extent are different types of billionaires moral’. i think my question is kind of interesting but i really don’t have motivation to do my epq. ive done my research and everything but now we have to write it up and hand in our first draft in 2 weeks. I just don’t know if i want to do it anymore because i think preparing my presentation and improving my overall essay will take up time within the summer holidays and i kind of want to focus on finding work experience (i’m thinking of doing either something politics or psychology related at uni btw). I know it’s beneficial for UCAS points but i don’t get overall bad marks anyway so i just don’t know if it’s worth it.
Any advice would be great😁
lucyyy12
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
seriously do the EPQ it’s so worth it.
without it, I wouldn’t have had enough UCAS points to go to the university that I wanted to.
if you’ve already done the research then all you have to do is the essay (which honestly isn’t as bad as it seems) and the presentation (which you can adapt from the essay easily).

honestly it’s so worth those extra points, I’m so glad I did it. It was like having another a level.

also, my EPQ question was totally unrelated to my degree so I don’t think that matters at all. I think the universities just like to see you’ve gone that bit further to study something on your own.

Hope that helps
SB1234567890
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Agree with the above, the research in my opinion was the hard bit and 3 out 5 of my universities reduced entry requirements if I got an A, with Exeter saying if I also put them as my firm they'd reduce the requirements by 2 grades, which has greatly reduced my stress about results day.
lou88811
Rep:
?
(Original post by lucyyy12)
seriously do the EPQ it’s so worth it.
without it, I wouldn’t have had enough UCAS points to go to the university that I wanted to.
if you’ve already done the research then all you have to do is the essay (which honestly isn’t as bad as it seems) and the presentation (which you can adapt from the essay easily).

honestly it’s so worth those extra points, I’m so glad I did it. It was like having another a level.

also, my EPQ question was totally unrelated to my degree so I don’t think that matters at all. I think the universities just like to see you’ve gone that bit further to study something on your own.

Hope that helps
Okay thank you😁
I’m probs just gonna do it. I was just stressing about work experience and whether i’ll have enough time but if i manage my time properly i probably will.
Also, can i do some research while writing up the essay aswell because as i started writing it i realised some research i needed wasnt all in my research document and so i just did some as i went. So like does all of my research have to be in the research document. i’m just a bit confused bc my school isn’t helpful😭
BlueEyedGirl_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lou88811)
So I’m doing EPQ and we started it in September but our school was kind of unprepared so most people started research around March. Anyways, my epq is ‘to what extent are different types of billionaires moral’. i think my question is kind of interesting but i really don’t have motivation to do my epq. ive done my research and everything but now we have to write it up and hand in our first draft in 2 weeks. I just don’t know if i want to do it anymore because i think preparing my presentation and improving my overall essay will take up time within the summer holidays and i kind of want to focus on finding work experience (i’m thinking of doing either something politics or psychology related at uni btw). I know it’s beneficial for UCAS points but i don’t get overall bad marks anyway so i just don’t know if it’s worth it.
Any advice would be great😁
You don’t require work experience for either politics or psychology - if you want to do it to broaden your own experiences then do, but don’t do it solely for your course.

In regards to EPQ itself, it sounds like you’ve done almost of the hard work and just need to actually put pen to paper and write. Maybe try and get aside a couple of hours over the next week and just get the essay done?

Ultimately, doing an EPQ is good experience for university and does give you something else to talk about in a personal statement, plus some extra UCAS points, but it’s unlikely to in itself change your application drastically, as long as you’re doing other super curriculars (e.g. reading, listening to podcasts etc). Considering all the work you’ve done already, I would personally just see it through now, however if you feel it’s too much/aren’t enjoying it, then drop it and focus on your other studies.
lucyyy12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lou88811)
Okay thank you😁
I’m probs just gonna do it. I was just stressing about work experience and whether i’ll have enough time but if i manage my time properly i probably will.
Also, can i do some research while writing up the essay aswell because as i started writing it i realised some research i needed wasnt all in my research document and so i just did some as i went. So like does all of my research have to be in the research document. i’m just a bit confused bc my school isn’t helpful😭
Don’t worry my school was just as unhelpful, my tutor gave me no guidance as it’s meant to be independent work.
I’m not sure about a research document, I don’t think we had to include that unless they’ve changed it since I did it.
Just make sure you have all your references correct and in order at the end of the essay and you should be okay.
Hope it goes well
lucyyy12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
so yeah I think you’d be fine to do more research now
lou88811
Rep:
?
(Original post by lucyyy12)
so yeah I think you’d be fine to do more research now
Okay thanks so much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (18)
28.13%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (5)
7.81%
No I am happy with my choice (37)
57.81%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (4)
6.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed