Worrying about Type 2 Diabetes

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m South Asian, 18, 5’3 and I weigh about 76kg I think remembering from last time. But I always even before that just say 80kg. I have bad health anxiety so I’m worrying about diabetes. In the past I have tried to lose weight, but have always given up. This time I actually want to do it because of my health worry. I know you guys aren’t doctors, but do you think I could get diabetes right now? Like i am trying to lose weight right now, but what if I have diabetes right now and I don’t even know that I do. I’m just overthinking a lot, but idk who to talk to about this and I’m too anxious to speak to doctors. I don’t want to get diabetes, my dad has it, my mum is having tests for it, my uncle & some aunts have it too.

Also I mentioned south Asian because on nhs website it said something about south Asians being more at risk
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The only way to know if you are diabetic is to be tested for it. People can get type 2 diabetes at any age, but it would be unusual for a young person in their teens to get it - so statistically speaking, your chance of getting it now would be relatively low. However, if you are at all worried, it is definitely best to speak to your GP, and they will be able to tell you whether you need to be having any tests, and they will also be able to give you advice about diet (and perhaps even refer you somewhere for help with weight loss).
urlocalinmate
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Eat in a calorie deficit, if that's difficult, just have two meals a day and that'll help reduce some weight.
WazzWazz98
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’m South Asian, 18, 5’3 and I weigh about 76kg I think remembering from last time. But I always even before that just say 80kg. I have bad health anxiety so I’m worrying about diabetes. In the past I have tried to lose weight, but have always given up. This time I actually want to do it because of my health worry. I know you guys aren’t doctors, but do you think I could get diabetes right now? Like i am trying to lose weight right now, but what if I have diabetes right now and I don’t even know that I do. I’m just overthinking a lot, but idk who to talk to about this and I’m too anxious to speak to doctors. I don’t want to get diabetes, my dad has it, my mum is having tests for it, my uncle & some aunts have it too.

Also I mentioned south Asian because on nhs website it said something about south Asians being more at risk
Are you experiencing symptoms op? Or is it just anxiety alone about getting it in the future ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (42)
27.1%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
9.03%
No I am happy with my choice (88)
56.77%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (11)
7.1%

Watched Threads