The Student Room Group

Can I get in trouble for this?

I had a patient fall in the bathroom with me - it was assisted as I managed to catch and lower to the floor. The reason for this fall was that I didn’t place the brakes on properly on the patients transport device so they seemed to be on but they weren’t. It has been reported and all necessary procedures carried out. Can I get in trouble for failing to double check the brakes were on correctly before mobilising the patient?
I mean mistakes do happen
You are human after all
Hope things work out op
Reply 2
Mistakes happen, you are a human being.
Under the duty of candour, you have to admit when you have made a mistake and apologise to the patient and all of the relevant people which it sounds like you have done, along with reporting it and documenting it. I know it isn't the nicest thing to go through but try not to beat yourself up too much about it.

Good luck.
Reply 3
Original post by MissB89
Mistakes happen, you are a human being.
Under the duty of candour, you have to admit when you have made a mistake and apologise to the patient and all of the relevant people which it sounds like you have done, along with reporting it and documenting it. I know it isn't the nicest thing to go through but try not to beat yourself up too much about it.

Good luck.

Thank you. I’m just super worried my placement will turn around and say ‘we’re reporting you for this’ even though it was over a week ago and they said they’re not looking for someone to blame and the patient said that I’m not to blame
Incidents happen in healthcare all the time. Inpatient falls are common but are something that has to be reported so that they can be appropriately investigated and any learning points addressed. The learning point in this instance may lead to updating staff about the use of the device you used to move this patient to ensure the brakes are on properly before trying to mobilise them. Ultimately, it shouldn't be about blame, we should learn from these incidents to improve care.

If they've said you're not in trouble then don't worry. It might be worth having a discussion with your practice assessor/supervisor at some point though to show you've learnt from this incident.
Reply 5
It's just the guilt of it all isn't it. Hopefully you will start to feel a bit better soon. X

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending