Larna14
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
As sod's law would dictate the time they decide to finally resurface all the roads in my area is right when I have my test date. There are advisory 20 MPH speed limit signs up along long sections of rural B road and chippings have been put down recently along the road, with there being no road markings. They aren't completely fresh, they've been down for 4 or 5 days and they aren't fully embedded yet. The question I need to know is do I follow the 20 MPH advisory limit seeing as there are still loose chippings, or do I have to pick up the pace a bit? If I was driving outwith a test I'd be doing around 30-40 on this road with the current surface. But I really don't know if follow the advisory limit when there is still a loose surface is necessary in the eyes of the examiner or not.

(My test is tomorrow... Yeah, great timing writing this up on my part I know)
KaptainCliff
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Follow the advisory speed limits. The risk you take if you don't is that the examiner will fail you. Drive like a cautious (but not too cautious) granny for your driving test.
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yeah you could make it really clear that your observation and awareness are on point by saying 'oooh Advisory Speed Limit - I'm going to follow that' out loud.

The way you drive on a test isn't necessarily have to be exactly the same way as you would when you're out on your own.
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Are you sure they are advisory, if they are in a red ring they’re mandatory and then there is no doubt to follow them. I don’t think you will be failed for following an advisory limit, but of course others may drive like idiots to overtake you. If you have a driving instructor I would also get some advice from them.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'd follow the signage and respond to the environment, As Joinedup said I'd just say out loud what I was doing to eliminate any doubt for the examiner that it isn't hesitation, it's an educated choice based on observed signage and conditions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (72)
22.78%
Excited but a bit nervous (142)
44.94%
Not bothered either way (38)
12.03%
I'm really nervous (64)
20.25%

Watched Threads