info on a level philsophy&ethics, geography

Watch this thread
seasaltfresh
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Eventhough i know im very likely to take english lit and psychology with sociology, i was just wondering on the other possibly options just in case i dislike it in year 12 - if anyone could leave any info on the type of lessons, type of work of those two i’d be greatful - thank you!
SneezyPanda
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Hi

I don't know anything about Philosophy and Ethics at A-Level (my college didn't offer it), but I have just finished A-Level Geography and am going on to take Geography BA at a Russell Group uni so hopefully, I can break down the course for you!:awesome:

My course was Edexcel and the Geography topics and modules differ a bit depending on which exam board your college is under so just keep that in mind.

Obvs since I'm taking it at Uni I found Geography to be the best A-Level I could have ever taken, especially seen before this I had quite a limited view on the subject as GCSE makes it seem to just focus on rivers, coasts, glaciers and random areas of Human Geography. At A-Level there is a distinct separation between Physical and Human Geography which helps you to view the subject through different viewpoints (and means that you usually form an opinion on which side you prefer), but there are multiple areas of cross-over where you get to understand the complexity and interconnectedness of Geography and how it really relates to nearly all aspects of life. If your considering this subject I'd say that you deffo have to go into it with an open mind, and expect your entire life views to be shattered (you'll probably have a political crisis 6 months in and get into an argument with your parents about your conflicting political standpoints but please don't let that scare you off!).

Lesson types usually consist of making notes from PowerPoints and textbooks and listening to teacher explanations, which sounds boring but is really the only way you can be taught unfamiliar concepts and key terminology. If your lucky to have a great teacher and engaged class then lessons may descend into discussions of questioning why the world the way it is and suddenly making a random connection between the specification and a topic you saw on the news last night. The breadth of Geography as a concept makes it so interesting as it transcends so many discussion points and makes lessons just that little bit more interesting.

You would be assessed through formal assessment and fieldwork (which includes an NEA essay that will take over your entire life and sounds scary but is so rewarding when you finish it and realise that you conducted this entire piece of coursework on your own back). The exams are very similar to GCSE but have no multiple choice and the marks for each question range from 2 to 20 marks so it's very much an essay-based exam. I think that there are 3 exam papers (I only did 2 cuz of exams were 'cancelled' this year) and they will focus on Physical Geography (stuff like coasts or glaciers, the water cycle, the carbon cycle, tectonic hazards, etc.), Human Geography (the best topics - Globalisation *chefs kiss*, Regenerating Places or Diverse Places, Superpowers *more chefs kiss*, and Migration/Sovereignty *meh*), and a skills-based paper with maths and graphs and maps and stuff (I think, I've never seen it).

Geography A-Level is (in my opinion) one of the most content-heavy subjects because of the amount of located examples, key terminology definitions, and statistics you need to remember to get high marks, but I feel that the relevance and connectedness of the subject to the wider world makes it easier to remember. The topics slide so easily into everyday discussions and the number of times I've caught myself spewing statistics about the shrinking of the Aral Sea to random people is so high that it's embarrassing but it really helps to consolidate what you have learnt so...

Overall, Geography is a really great subject and I couldn't praise it enough (as seen by this essay yelling my love for the subject that is probably longer than my English Lit coursework:flutter:). It's so rewarding and is a heavily sought-after subject in terms of employability and university applications because of the variety of skills it supports.

I hope that this helps and I'm so sorry about my rambling xxxx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (55)
39.86%
They're exactly what I expected (33)