Really worried- HIV Anxiety

Watch
throwaway7474432
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
So heres the story. Over the past six months I have been an idiot and done unprotected stuff a few times. I'm a gay man. Twice I have had anal sex BUT (pun intended) they DIDN'T ejaculate in there at all. Twice I have given oral sex to someone- both of them did ejaculate.On Monday I woke up with a sore throat and general unwell feeling. I could see with a flashlight and mirror small off-white marks just at the back of my throat. Tuesday I still had a sore throat but far less of the unwell feeling, Wednesday and today the sore throat has been almost entirely faded, and the small marks at the back of my throat are smaller. The only additional potential symptom was that on Saturday, BEFORE I got the sore throat, my lower left leg ached. I probably just slept on it or something.So I got an STD test, testing for all the main ones including HIV. I have sent it off and expect results tomorrow at the earliest, but more likely Monday or Tuesday. Heres the issue: I have a mind that obsesses over worst-case-scenarios. I'm super worried I have HIV (less worried about the other STDs like Chlamidya because they can be cured with antibiotics) and I'm kinda torturing myself worrying. Any advice, guys?
SPMark94
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by throwaway7474432)
So heres the story. Over the past six months I have been an idiot and done unprotected stuff a few times. I'm a gay man. Twice I have had anal sex BUT (pun intended) they DIDN'T ejaculate in there at all. Twice I have given oral sex to someone- both of them did ejaculate.On Monday I woke up with a sore throat and general unwell feeling. I could see with a flashlight and mirror small off-white marks just at the back of my throat. Tuesday I still had a sore throat but far less of the unwell feeling, Wednesday and today the sore throat has been almost entirely faded, and the small marks at the back of my throat are smaller. The only additional potential symptom was that on Saturday, BEFORE I got the sore throat, my lower left leg ached. I probably just slept on it or something.So I got an STD test, testing for all the main ones including HIV. I have sent it off and expect results tomorrow at the earliest, but more likely Monday or Tuesday. Heres the issue: I have a mind that obsesses over worst-case-scenarios. I'm super worried I have HIV (less worried about the other STDs like Chlamidya because they can be cured with antibiotics) and I'm kinda torturing myself worrying. Any advice, guys?
Well, I'm not going to lecture you like others might, as you're probably aware now of how dangerous unprotected sex can be and the worry that it can bring.

First things first. Some education, as it sounds like you need it. The majority of HIV transmission among gay men is through anal intercourse, however, the 'bottom' is the most vulnerable to transmission. The transmission rate from HIV+ positive 'top' to an HIV- 'bottom' if they ejaculated is 96% chance of infection which is pretty much 1 in 1. If they did not ejaculate, the risk of exposure is still 1 in 72. This is assuming that the 'top' was HIV+, however, the risk goes down if their HIV status was unknown of course. However, a 'top' being exposed to HIV from a HIV+ 'bottom' is 1 in 46,000 regardless if they ejaculated or not. So as you can see, it's far riskier being a bottom than a top.

Although HIV transmission with oral intercourse is possible, the risks are very low. You should only be concerned about transmission through oral sex if you have any underlying oral health conditions such as gum disease or any oral trauma such as injuries, cold sores, or any other direct route to your bloodstream. General consumptions are unlikely to cause transmission due to the toxicity of your stomach acid which would kill HIV upon contact.

No offence, you seem generally naive. Any gay man who was not naive would have contacted their sexual health clinic to obtain Post-exposure prophylaxis for HIV (too late for you now, has to be done within 48 hours of sex). You should make an appointment at your sexual health clinic to learn more about this and also have a discussion about going on Pre-exposure prophylaxis for HIV which will protect you from HIV if you have unprotected sex with an HIV+ individual. They will also give you your HPV Vaccinations if you don't already have them which are available to gay men. If it transpires that you are HIV+, then you need to contact your GP in order to get medication to prevent the onset of AIDS.

Lastly, other than my advice above - I suggest that you should continue to worry and I hope you have a sleepless night(s) over this, that way you won't do it again, and you will make sure that you are safe.

Mark
Student Paramedic & Gay.
Last edited by .Mark; 6 months ago
hellothere2783
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
Hi,
I hope you are well.
what was the test result?
Last edited by hellothere2783; 6 months ago
Anonymous #1
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by hellothere2783)
Hi,
I hope you are well.
what was the test result?
Considering they got oral thrush (which people with normal immune systems don't get), and that they haven't replied, it's not looking very good.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (75)
21.93%
Note taking apps (6)
1.75%
Flashcards (74)
21.64%
Revision guides (18)
5.26%
Past papers (157)
45.91%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (12)
3.51%

Watched Threads