retrolevi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi, I'm an S6 pupil and plan on doing medicine in the future. So far I have achieved all A's in the required Highers needed to get into medicine school. In S6 I'm taking 2 AH - Biology and History and another 2 Highers - French and Accounting. However, I realize that most people tend to take subjects such as Advanced Higher Chemistry/Maths so I was wondering if I were at any disadvantage for when I apply to medicine school with my choices? Thanks
(I only intend to apply to Scottish Medicine schools btw)
bbtala
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by retrolevi)
Hi, I'm an S6 pupil and plan on doing medicine in the future. So far I have achieved all A's in the required Highers needed to get into medicine school. In S6 I'm taking 2 AH - Biology and History and another 2 Highers - French and Accounting. However, I realize that most people tend to take subjects such as Advanced Higher Chemistry/Maths so I was wondering if I were at any disadvantage for when I apply to medicine school with my choices? Thanks
(I only intend to apply to Scottish Medicine schools btw)
For Medicine, most Universities require AH Chemistry and one other AH science for a competitive application. I don't think Maths matters too much (I believe it's AH chem and one other science that is typically recommended). So you'd probably be best off taking AH Chemistry. If you want confirmation I'd say call up the admissions departments of the Universities that you want to go to and ask them!
retrolevi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by bbtala)
For Medicine, most Universities require AH Chemistry and one other AH science for a competitive application. I don't think Maths matters too much (I believe it's AH chem and one other science that is typically recommended). So you'd probably be best off taking AH Chemistry. If you want confirmation I'd say call up the admissions departments of the Universities that you want to go to and ask them!
Yes but I have checked with all Scottish medical schools and there is nothing that says Advanced Higher Chemistry is required. I have even checked in with my careers advisor and she has said that my subject choices should be fine but I'm still sure if certain subjects give more of an advantage to applications or not. Thank you for your help though
GANFYD
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by retrolevi)
Yes but I have checked with all Scottish medical schools and there is nothing that says Advanced Higher Chemistry is required. I have even checked in with my careers advisor and she has said that my subject choices should be fine but I'm still sure if certain subjects give more of an advantage to applications or not. Thank you for your help though
There are no subject requirements for AHs from Scottish med schools, though the English ones (who do not understand Highers/AHs) usually do have subject requirements.
There is no advantage to having a particular subject, unless it is stated as necessary in the requirements
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads