Asky_999
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
so I am in year 8, I'm really worried and nervous about how I will do in my GCSE. Please tell me if I should be revising now or later on. Plus, can you tell me any useful study website which is totally free?
zarah23
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
First of all. Stressing will lead u no where. Relax and take a breather, remember your in control. You dont have to revise now but it would help kind of later on, e.g getting you in the higher sets therefore being able to do higher for some subjects. However if you just want to pass, you dont have to revise as much. For maths i suggest mathsmadeeasy, bitesize, drfrostmath, Corbett maths. If u need anymore help, just ask me.
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Don't revise now... if you have a class test, do little bit of revision for that if you'd like, but it's better to pay attention in class and make the most of your free time now. Your GCSEs will be fine - they're hard because they're the first time you'll have done proper exams, but they are definitely not something you need to worry about 3 years in advance. As long as you find the right work-life balance in Y10-11, Enjoying your summer and building relationships with friends are the most important things you can do now. If there's a subject you enjoy then you might choose to do light research on topics that genuinely interest you, but DO NOT put any pressure on yourself to be studying now, to do a set number of hours of work a day, or to stop doing the things you enjoy. It's so important that you use this time for personal development. Life is about more than just exams, and I say this as someone who is prone to stressing too much about exams and to burning out. Starting GCSE revision is not necessary at all, and could be detrimental to your mental health if you put too much pressure on yourself or try to do too much.
Asky_999
Rep:
?
Thanks for the advice it really helped me. Now I feel a bit more relaxed. I will check out the websites you recommended.
Last edited by Asky_999; 1 month ago
zarah23
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Asky_999)
Thanks for the advice it really helped me. Now I feel a bit more relaxed. I will check out the websites you recommended.
Thats great, enjoy the time you have now
Asky_999
Rep:
?
(Original post by redmeercat)
Don't revise now... if you have a class test, do little bit of revision for that if you'd like, but it's better to pay attention in class and make the most of your free time now. Your GCSEs will be fine - they're hard because they're the first time you'll have done proper exams, but they are definitely not something you need to worry about 3 years in advance. As long as you find the right work-life balance in Y10-11, Enjoying your summer and building relationships with friends are the most important things you can do now. If there's a subject you enjoy then you might choose to do light research on topics that genuinely interest you, but DO NOT put any pressure on yourself to be studying now, to do a set number of hours of work a day, or to stop doing the things you enjoy. It's so important that you use this time for personal development. Life is about more than just exams, and I say this as someone who is prone to stressing too much about exams and to burning out. Starting GCSE revision is not necessary at all, and could be detrimental to your mental health if you put too much pressure on yourself or try to do too much.
Thanks! I was really worried but now I'm not.
Asky_999
Rep:
?
(Original post by zarah23)
Thats great, enjoy the time you have now
yup, I will!
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Asky_999)
Thanks! I was really worried but now I'm not.
I'm glad. And when it does come to year 11 and revision, remember these things:

- Learning study skills is an important part of the GCSE process. Try things out and see what works for you. Not everyone's the same.
- Your rest time is worth as much as your study time. Set boundaries (e.g. a time by which you have to stop work every day) and stick with them. This will teach your brain to focus when it needs to focus and to rest when it needs to rest, improving mental health and results.
- Stress does not equal dedication. You can be dedicated to your work and to getting good grades without spending every minute thinking about them. Think about work when you're working and not when you're not. This can be hard but it's worth training yourself. If you have a worry about something academic, write it on a piece of paper to think about during work hours, not during rest.
- Most people at school don't tell the truth about how much they study, and will exaggerate or play down how much they do. You do you and don't worry about them.
Asky_999
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by redmeercat)
I'm glad. And when it does come to year 11 and revision, remember these things:

- Learning study skills is an important part of the GCSE process. Try things out and see what works for you. Not everyone's the same.
- Your rest time is worth as much as your study time. Set boundaries (e.g. a time by which you have to stop work every day) and stick with them. This will teach your brain to focus when it needs to focus and to rest when it needs to rest, improving mental health and results.
- Stress does not equal dedication. You can be dedicated to your work and to getting good grades without spending every minute thinking about them. Think about work when you're working and not when you're not. This can be hard but it's worth training yourself. If you have a worry about something academic, write it on a piece of paper to think about during work hours, not during rest.
- Most people at school don't tell the truth about how much they study, and will exaggerate or play down how much they do. You do you and don't worry about them.
super helpful! thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (33)
15.21%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (66)
30.41%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (25)
11.52%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (18)
8.29%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (12)
5.53%
I think it's an unfair expectation (60)
27.65%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed