From using Clearing, to working at Rolls Royce & building an award-winning robot- AMA

Watch
University of Southampton- TSR Talks
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi, I’m Binali and I am completing my MEng in Mechanical Engineering at the University of Southampton.

I came to the University through Clearing and while I was a student, I had some really great experiences. These include building a robot that won the Eurobot competition, as well as working as an Assembly Planning Intern with Rolls Royce.

Ask me anything about my experience at Rolls Royce, or of being on placement generally and what it might add to your studies.

Or ask me about the exciting group activities I’ve been part of during my degree like making a robot.

If you’re interested, I can also tell you about the Clearing process and what to expect. It can be a confusing time, but if you know what to look out for, it can be a great way to find your place at your ideal university.

If you just want to hear about what it’s like to study at Southampton in general, I can help with that too.

I’ll be online for the next two weeks to answer your questions, so go ahead, ask me anything!
Ten-Ten
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Can you please explain the clearing process e.g how long it took to get a place after results day, if it was easy. The whole shabang
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ten-Ten)
Can you please explain the clearing process e.g how long it took to get a place after results day, if it was easy. The whole shabang
Thanks for your question!

I phoned Southampton University the same day as my results and was lucky enough to get a place. I would recommend having a list of universities that offer your course via clearing and calling on the day you get your results. A lot of people will be calling the line the same time as you so be sure to be patient! Be sure to have your results and UCAS Identification number to hand!

The Southampton clearing team was really helpful and transparent with the places they had available. After confirming my place, I was invited to the clearing open day to visit the university and find out more about the course.

The Clearing Hotline this year opens from the 5th July if you already have your results but for all the information, here is a link to the clearing website: https://www.southampton.ac.uk/cleari...clearing-works

Hope this helps
moonstaar
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by University of Southampton- TSR Talks)
Hi, I’m Binali and I am completing my MEng in Mechanical Engineering at the University of Southampton.

I came to the University through Clearing and while I was a student, I had some really great experiences. These include building a robot that won the Eurobot competition, as well as working as an Assembly Planning Intern with Rolls Royce.

Ask me anything about my experience at Rolls Royce, or of being on placement generally and what it might add to your studies.

Or ask me about the exciting group activities I’ve been part of during my degree like making a robot.

If you’re interested, I can also tell you about the Clearing process and what to expect. It can be a confusing time, but if you know what to look out for, it can be a great way to find your place at your ideal university.

If you just want to hear about what it’s like to study at Southampton in general, I can help with that too.

I’ll be online for the next two weeks to answer your questions, so go ahead, ask me anything!
Hi Binali, thank you for taking some time to do an AMA!

It's great to see that you have been so successful within your degree and beyond.

I'm currently an EE student with aspirations in the aerospace sector (RR/Airbus/Leonardo).

Could you tell me about some of the work that you completed as part of the internship and any tips on the application process.

Cheers
Rep:
?
(Original post by moonstaar)
Hi Binali, thank you for taking some time to do an AMA!

It's great to see that you have been so successful within your degree and beyond.

I'm currently an EE student with aspirations in the aerospace sector (RR/Airbus/Leonardo).

Could you tell me about some of the work that you completed as part of the internship and any tips on the application process.

Cheers

Thank you for your question!

The key to internships of any sort is to apply early on and make sure you tailor your CV/Cover letter to that specific job. I found out about the internship opportunity at Rolls-Royce Motor Cars through my university as they are connected with the company so speak with your careers advisors for any help they can offer. I had to complete the online tests with the initial application after which I was lucky enough to be invited to the Assessment Centre. This consisted of two interviews with different line managers and group activities throughout the day. They are really looking at your character and how you can work in a group so don't be shy and step out of your comfort zone. Be sure to thoroughly research the company you are applying for. Another thing I would recommend is prepare a few questions to ask your interviewers at the end of your interview.

During my internship, I was an assembly planning intern. My role primarily consisted of designing jigs and fixtures using the CAD software Catia for the assembly line that could be used to fit parts to the cars in line with the set specification. These designs were 3D printed and used on-site. I was also involved in VPS (Value-Added Production System) activities to help increase efficiency on the assembly line and general ad-hoc administration duties for my department. I was treated as any other member of the team and given responsibilities from my first day which was very welcoming and put my nerves at ease.

Hope this helps
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
what were your original choices.
do you believe that you was treated unfairly in the application process, as now you have exhibited yourself as someone to have succeeded in the application process.
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
What was/is your opinion of motoring journalists? I used to work for a well-known car magazine and am always curious about how those in the industry view us.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
what were your original choices.
do you believe that you was treated unfairly in the application process, as now you have exhibited yourself as someone to have succeeded in the application process.
Thanks for the question.

I applied to Imperial, Loughborough, Bath and Bristol. I had firmed Bristol and had Bath as my insurance university. I believe I was treated fairly as I received offers from both these universities. Unfortunately, I just missed my offers for both but was lucky enough to be offered a place via clearing at Southampton.

Hope this answers your question
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
What was/is your opinion of motoring journalists? I used to work for a well-known car magazine and am always curious about how those in the industry view us.
At Rolls-Royce Motor Cars, I was working in the engineering department so did not encounter motoring journalists per se so I don't really have an opinion on that...sorry!
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
How similar are your experiences to others on your course?

And how has your course been modified due to the pandemic?
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
How similar are your experiences to others on your course?

And how has your course been modified due to the pandemic?
Thank you for your question!

By similarity, if you are asking about the year in industry, about 15-20% of my cohort undertook a placement for a full year. Most others accumulate experience over the years through summer internships and other work experience. The Mechanical Engineering degree does not require you to have any prior knowledge in anything except A-level Maths. In the first year, all the modules lay a foundation for you to build on and make subsequent years easier.

This year, my whole course has been conducted online. This involved a mixture of recorded lectures, online live lectures, and synchronous tutorial sessions. My individual project (dissertation) had to be entirely literature/simulation-based as practical facilities e.g. labs were closed. Our group project for Engineering Design with Management was also conducted online. The final assessments included more coursework than usual as well as 24-hr exams at the end of term. Although this was not the prefered method of teaching, it worked really well and the lecturers were always available to answer questions (via email or MS Teams). The recorded sessions allowed us to manage our own time and re-watch lectures closer to exams. The synchronous sessions were really useful for asking questions to the lecturers and going through exam revision.

Hope this helps
tej3141
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
What was the award-winning robot you made?
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
By similarity, if you are asking about the year in industry, about 15-20% of my cohort undertook a placement for a full year. Most others accumulate experience over the years through summer internships and other work experience. The Mechanical Engineering degree does not require you to have any prior knowledge in anything except A-level Maths. In the first year, all the modules lay a foundation for you to build on and make subsequent years easier.
And am I right in assuming this wasn't coordinated by the University?
Rep:
?
(Original post by 04MR17)
And am I right in assuming this wasn't coordinated by the University?
Hi,

No this wasn't coordinated by the university but they do regularly inform us of available opportunities and help us with CV's/Cover letters through the university's careers service. The Engineering Department also sends emails with opportunities as they come throughout the year. The university also holds mock assessment days and invites external speakers to offer advice on application processes. You can check out the university career service on this website: https://www.southampton.ac.uk/careers/index.page

Let me know if you have more questions
Rep:
?
(Original post by tej3141)
What was the award-winning robot you made?
Hi,

In 2nd Year, as part of our group design project, we competed in a competition called Eurobot. We had to build a robot in group from scratch that could collect points around a board designed as the periodic table. Our robot won the "Most innovative design prize" internally and went on play the national competition. Here are some pictures of our robot!

Name:  f0ae1e86-a12f-4def-a3f9-d60c27abdf29.JPG
Views: 18
Size:  153.8 KBName:  f449c2ff-00b9-4d4d-9cc2-d56c38f398df.JPG
Views: 20
Size:  231.7 KB
tej3141
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi,

In 2nd Year, as part of our group design project, we competed in a competition called Eurobot. We had to build a robot in group from scratch that could collect points around a board designed as the periodic table. Our robot won the "Most innovative design prize" internally and went on play the national competition. Here are some pictures of our robot!

Name:  f0ae1e86-a12f-4def-a3f9-d60c27abdf29.JPG
Views: 18
Size:  153.8 KBName:  f449c2ff-00b9-4d4d-9cc2-d56c38f398df.JPG
Views: 20
Size:  231.7 KB
That's pretty cool. Did you find out about this competition in uni? I would like to do stuff like this
Rep:
?
(Original post by tej3141)
That's pretty cool. Did you find out about this competition in uni? I would like to do stuff like this
It was part of one of our modules at university. Southampton also has a society called RoboSoc, which is dedicated to these types of competitions, which you should look at joining if you decide to come. Here is a link to their page: compositesworld.com/articles/new-3d-printed-prosthetic-leg-features-carbon-fiber-definitive-socket-

If you are interested in building and designing, then check out the human-powered aircraft society and formula student as well.

Here is a list of all the societies available at Southampton: https://blogs.susu.org/wp-content/up...Guide_2021.pdf

imsomeoneyes
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It was part of one of our modules at university. Southampton also has a society called RoboSoc, which is dedicated to these types of competitions, which you should look at joining if you decide to come. Here is a link to their page: compositesworld.com/articles/new-3d-printed-prosthetic-leg-features-carbon-fiber-definitive-socket-

If you are interested in building and designing, then check out the human-powered aircraft society and formula student as well.

Here is a list of all the societies available at Southampton: https://blogs.susu.org/wp-content/up...Guide_2021.pdf

Can you join two societies? Or one society and one sports club
Rep:
?
(Original post by imsomeoneyes)
Can you join two societies? Or one society and one sports club
Yes of course! You can join as many societies as you like!! Just be sure that you are able to balance your work and commit to the societies!
f1monkeys
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi,

It's amazing to hear about what you have done!

I was wondering what studying at the University of Southampton is like, is it diverse? What's the male to female ratio like?

Also, do most people who apply for a placement receive one?

Thank you!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (73)
22.6%
Excited but a bit nervous (146)
45.2%
Not bothered either way (38)
11.76%
I'm really nervous (66)
20.43%

Watched Threads