JoeyEastham
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hello

I am wondering if anyone know what the best way to go from a Nurse to a doctor. I have a degree in nursing with a result of 2:1.

Am I best doing a post grad and self funding for the first year.

are there any other options where I can work at the same time ?

thank you for your help.

Joe
Gazelleintense
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi! I’m a nurse too, and have an offer to start medicine at UEA Norwich in September. It’s my local uni and I couldn’t move away as I have children. So I’m doing 5 year undergraduate medicine course. They’re easier to get on than 4 year graduate entry medicine but more expensive. I will need to pay £9250 in tuition fees (for the first 4 years the last year is funded for some reason). As I already have a degree, 2.1 like you, I can’t get a tuition fee loan from student finance but I can get a maintenance loan, I’ve been granted about £9000 so that can cover tuition fees, then i will need to work extra shifts throughout the course to fund living costs! Husband works so will help.
I would investigate what uni’s you could go to and their entry requirements to see if you meet them. Most need decent A levels and GCSEs, I had to take A level Chemistry this year because my qualifications are all over 5 years old (my local uni needed evidence of recent study in the last 5 years) and they advised me to do Chem.

If your uni you want to go to needs the UCAT entrance exam you need to start looking into that now as it is taken In the summer months normally. You need to do it this summer if you’re applying by 15th Oct this year, to start September next year.
Clairen98
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Gazelleintense)
Hi! I’m a nurse too, and have an offer to start medicine at UEA Norwich in September. It’s my local uni and I couldn’t move away as I have children. So I’m doing 5 year undergraduate medicine course. They’re easier to get on than 4 year graduate entry medicine but more expensive. I will need to pay £9250 in tuition fees (for the first 4 years the last year is funded for some reason). As I already have a degree, 2.1 like you, I can’t get a tuition fee loan from student finance but I can get a maintenance loan, I’ve been granted about £9000 so that can cover tuition fees, then i will need to work extra shifts throughout the course to fund living costs! Husband works so will help.
I would investigate what uni’s you could go to and their entry requirements to see if you meet them. Most need decent A levels and GCSEs, I had to take A level Chemistry this year because my qualifications are all over 5 years old (my local uni needed evidence of recent study in the last 5 years) and they advised me to do Chem.

If your uni you want to go to needs the UCAT entrance exam you need to start looking into that now as it is taken In the summer months normally. You need to do it this summer if you’re applying by 15th Oct this year, to start September next year.
How did you take chemistry at A level this year? Was it an online college or something? TIA
Gazelleintense
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Clairen98)
How did you take chemistry at A level this year? Was it an online college or something? TIA
Yeah i did it online though a company called Cloud Learn, through who I also organised my exams (which changed to online assessments and assignments when exams were cancelled). Their learning materials were useless though so I also signed up to Up Learn which is learning via interactive videos which I highly, highly recommend.
Turning_A_Corner
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Gazelleintense)
Yeah i did it online though a company called Cloud Learn, through who I also organised my exams (which changed to online assessments and assignments when exams were cancelled). Their learning materials were useless though so I also signed up to Up Learn which is learning via interactive videos which I highly, highly recommend.
I recommend UpLearn as well. They’re a bit off on their thermodynamic cycles (much better explanations elsewhere) but apart from that I really can’t fault them. Great tutor support and excellent videos.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (12)
6.32%
Uncertainty around my education (21)
11.05%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (21)
11.05%
Lack of purpose or motivation (28)
14.74%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (12)
6.32%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (7)
3.68%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (16)
8.42%
Financial worries (10)
5.26%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (6)
3.16%
Exposure to negative news/social media (14)
7.37%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (6)
3.16%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (23)
12.11%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (14)
7.37%

Watched Threads