sophiareay
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I really want to study medicine at uni but my english grade i got at GCSE is a 5 and all unis ask for it to be at a 6 or above from what i can tell. This was however a predicted grade as i couldnt sit the exam. Anyone know if i could still study medicine somehow or should i just give up? Everything else i got 7s and 8s in so i meet all other requirements.
usycool1
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sophiareay)
I really want to study medicine at uni but my english grade i got at GCSE is a 5 and all unis ask for it to be at a 6 or above from what i can tell. This was however a predicted grade as i couldnt sit the exam. Anyone know if i could still study medicine somehow or should i just give up? Everything else i got 7s and 8s in so i meet all other requirements.
I'm slightly out of the loop now with admissions, sadly, but from my understanding, there are some Medical Schools that don't specify a minimum grade for GCSE English (there's a table here: https://www.themedicportal.com/appli...-for-medicine/).

If you want to study Medicine, it certainly still is very much possible. It's just important to make sure that you apply wisely to the Medical Schools that would accept a 5 in English/don't specify a minimum.

Otherwise, you could consider retaking and trying to bring it up to a 6. I don't know the logistics of this though, given how much exams have been affected over the past year or so.
SyedN
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sophiareay)
Hey you definitely can still do Medicine. There are some universities that take a 5 and 2 universities that do not look at GCSEs at all (Newcastle and Cambridge). What I would recommend is resitting your GCSE English Language to get it up to a 6 as it will open up a lot more places where you can apply.

Also if your 5 is in English Literature you do not even need to resit as unis want a 6 in English Language.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (42)
27.1%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
9.03%
No I am happy with my choice (88)
56.77%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (11)
7.1%

Watched Threads