Eris13696
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I hope everyone is doing good today. I understand how to do this question and all the steps involved in it. But however I don’t get how to simplify it like they did here. (If I want to click on explain more I have to pay).
Last edited by Eris13696; 1 month ago
davros
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Eris13696)
I hope everyone is doing good today. I understand how to do this question and all the steps involved in it. But however I don’t get how to simplify it like they did here. (If I want to click on explain more I have to pay).
which bit is confusing you - these are just standard log rules so

2ln(3) = ln(3^2) = ln 9
2xln3 = ln(3^(2x)) etc
Eris13696
Rep:
?
(Original post by davros)
which bit is confusing you - these are just standard log rules so

2ln(3) = ln(3^2) = ln 9
2xln3 = ln(3^(2x)) etc
What’s confusing me is how the simplify it, this is how I do it. This is the answer I get without using their simplification. If you put values in both mine and theirs, you get the same thing. If I kept this in the exam, will it be fine or do I have to always simplify?
Last edited by Eris13696; 1 month ago
davros
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Eris13696)
What’s confusing me is how the simplify it, this is how I do it. This is the answer I get without using their simplification. If you put values in both mine and theirs, you get the same thing. If I kept this in the exam, will it be fine or do I have to always simplify?
Well, your answer isn't technically wrong (as far as I can see from a quick glance) but you've made an awful lot of extra work for yourself!

e^{-2x\ln 3} is just of the form e^{kx} with k = -2ln3, so you should be able to integrate this straight off to get:

\dfrac{1}{k}e^{kx} as it is a standard integral.

You can then choose whether to write the solution as a power of e (which is how the original integrand looks), or convert it to a power of 3 or a power of 9. Personally I don't see anything to choose between 3^{2x} and 9^x
Eris13696
Rep:
?
(Original post by davros)
Well, your answer isn't technically wrong (as far as I can see from a quick glance) but you've made an awful lot of extra work for yourself!

e^{-2x\ln 3} is just of the form e^{kx} with k = -2ln3, so you should be able to integrate this straight off to get:

\dfrac{1}{k}e^{kx} as it is a standard integral.

You can then choose whether to write the solution as a power of e (which is how the original integrand looks), or convert it to a power of 3 or a power of 9. Personally I don't see anything to choose between 3^{2x} and 9^x
I’m so grateful that you answered me, you’re the best one at simplifying math here 😭 I spent 2 hours yesterday trying to understand how it’s done and then I found these steps on the app so I just went with whatever I had. Your method is done in like 2 steps compared to the one I used, thank you <3
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (46)
15.03%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (98)
32.03%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (38)
12.42%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (26)
8.5%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
5.56%
I think it's an unfair expectation (78)
25.49%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
0.98%

Watched Threads