The Student Room Group

Do you think the vaccine causes infertility??

I’m getting kind of stressed because I have my vaccine booked in next week, but now I’m hearing a lot of women complain that they’re have a lot of period problems after taking the vaccine

Scroll to see replies

I experienced a strange disruption in my menstrual cycle after my first AZ dose, so I’m quite cautious now and monitoring my menstrual cycle. For now I’m delaying my second dose until my cycle stabilises.

I’m not saying you should or shouldn’t, just sharing my experience.
Original post by Anonymous
I’m getting kind of stressed because I have my vaccine booked in next week, but now I’m hearing a lot of women complain that they’re have a lot of period problems after taking the vaccine

There are definitely lots of women reporting period problems after vaccination. For example:

Does the Covid vaccine impact periods?
https://metro.co.uk/2021/06/24/does-the-covid-vaccine-impact-periods-14820914/?ito=newsnow-feed

"Almost 4,000 UK women have reported changes to their period patterns after receiving a coronavirus vaccine."

"In the latest weekly report on vaccine-adverse reactions, the MHRA published information on reports of menstrual disorders following the vaccine."

"The MHRA said it received reports ranging from heavier-than-usual periods to delayed periods and unexpected vaginal bleeding."

"However, the agency concluded: ‘The current evidence does not suggest an increased risk of either menstrual disorders or unexpected vaginal bleeding following the vaccines.’"

I've personally come to believe rightly or wrongly that whatever adverse impacts arise following vaccinations the officials are simply never going to admit it's the vaccine and will never say anything to jeopardise their precious "get 'em all vaxxed" program. That's just my personal take at this stage.

I'm mindful here that it took around 4 years before the terrible harmful affects of Thalidomide came to light which had catastrophically damaged babies of pregnant women. Thalidomide is not a vaccine of course but it nevertheless shows us the vital importance of LONG TERM testing of medicines, drugs and other Pharma products.

Were I a woman and were I healthy and young and therefore at next to no risk of contracting serious Covid illness there is simply no way I would personally risk any of these Covid treatments but that's just me. Surely a woman's fertility is one of her most precious gifts in life so not something I would gamble with when I'm really at next to no risk from Covid in the first place and when the "vaccines" are still being tested.

I would personally be resolved to simply wait and see what transpires over the coming years and then revisit the decision then.

However this is a personal decision for everyone and everyone is in different states of health and at different levels of risk so there are no staight answers.

More articles here:

Gynecologists say it IS possible that COVID-19 vaccines could be affecting periods
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-9710415/Gynecologists-say-possible-COVID-19-vaccines-affecting-periods.html

then this article suggests that the changes to periods are an inflammatory stress response and a normal side effect of the vaccines, just like having a sore arm

https://30seconds.com/health/tip/24161/COVID-19-Vaccination-Side-Effects-On-Women-How-the-COVID-Vaccine-May-Impact-Your-Menstrual-Period

Good luck whatever you decide

no. it doesn't cause infertility. if that were the case, most of the world is doomed :rolleyes:
Reply 4

No studies or trials have shown fertility issues due to the vaccine. There has been evidence that it can affect your menstrual cycle, but there are many other things that can also do that, and that does not mean it has any effect on fertility.
I haven't read or heard of any allegations in relation to the covid vaccines being connected with infertility.
Nor any type of fertility problems in girls or guys.
Some female friends that had the AZ or Pfizer vaccines did complain about feeling very unwell for 48 hours after the jabs, then experiencing unusually heavy periods that lasted for longer than 11 days and were intensely painful.
Original post by Talon
No studies or trials have shown fertility issues due to the vaccine.

The vaccines have only been out a few months so it's unrealistic to expect that there would be any such studies at this stage.

No-one yet knows whether they impact fertility. Such impacts would emerge over a long period of time imo.
Reply 7
Original post by PilgrimOfTruth
The vaccines have only been out a few months so it's unrealistic to expect that there would be any such studies at this stage.

No-one yet knows whether they impact fertility. Such impacts would emerge over a long period of time imo.

It is something people have already looked for any initial evidence for and none has been found. Unless any is found, there is no reason to suspect it will. We do not know if the vaccine makes us sexually appealing to polar bears either, but for now I am happy to say it doesn't.

Related: http://www.britishfertilitysociety.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Covid19-Vaccines-FAQ-1_3.pdf

It certainly wasn't an issue for my sister.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 8
There is no theoretical or trial evidence for an adverse effect on fertility. I would respect the science.
Yes... what other vaccine messes with the menstrual cycle??? Don't do it.
Just do your part instead of risking everyone getting put on a ventilator, it's not just about YOU
My God, so many ignorant comments! No, of course it do not cause infertility, otherwise they wouldn't have approved and administerd it to the entire world.
I don't know but my Sheople brain wants to believe what Pilgrim of Truth is saying without researching further into it myself, yet I know thats a bad idea so instead I will consciously refuse to have an opinion on the matter. :yy:
Original post by satisfactionatlast
My God, so many ignorant comments! No, of course it do not cause infertility, otherwise they wouldn't have approved and administerd it to the entire world.

I'm worried about your naive trust in the government more than I am worried about the side effects of the vaccine.
That rumour started right at the start of the vaccination program, based on no actual evidence. If it caused infertility there would have been an infertility crisis noticed by now among the clinical trial participants. I can see how it could potentially cause heavier periods if you were one of the unlucky ones who developed immune thrombocytopenic purpura after the AZ vaccination https://www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n1489 .Pfizer doesn't seem to have this problem.
Original post by chlamydia9000
If it caused infertility there would have been an infertility crisis noticed by now among the clinical trial participants.

Nope, not true.

Why?

Because the vaccine trials didn't test pregnant women

Here's the trial results (for Pfizer jab):

"Assessment of long-term safety and efficacy for this vaccine will occur, but it cannot be in the context of maintaining a placebo group for the planned follow-up period of 2 years after the second dose. These data do not address whether vaccination prevents asymptomatic infection; a serologic end point that can detect a history of infection regardless of whether symptoms were present (SARS-CoV-2 N-binding antibody) will be
reported later. Furthermore, given the high vaccine efficacy and the low number of vaccine breakthrough cases, potential establishment of a correlate of protection has not been feasible at the time of this report."

"This report does not address the prevention of Covid-19 in other populations, such as younger adolescents, children, and pregnant women"

"Safety and immune response data from this trial after immunization of adolescents 12 to 15 years of age will be reported subsequently, and additional studies are planned to evaluate BNT162b2 in pregnant women, children younger than 12 years, and those in special risk groups, such as immunocompromised persons"

https://www.nejm.org/doi/10.1056/NEJMoa2034577

This is where doing your own research provides the answers.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by PilgrimOfTruth
Nope, not true.

Why?

Because the vaccine trials didn't test pregnant women

Here's the trial results (for Pfizer jab):

"Assessment of long-term safety and efficacy for this vaccine will occur, but it cannot be in the context of maintaining a placebo group for the planned follow-up period of 2 years after the second dose. These data do not address whether vaccination prevents asymptomatic infection; a serologic end point that can detect a history of infection regardless of whether symptoms were present (SARS-CoV-2 N-binding antibody) will be
reported later. Furthermore, given the high vaccine efficacy and the low number of vaccine breakthrough cases, potential establishment of a correlate of protection has not been feasible at the time of this report."

"This report does not address the prevention of Covid-19 in other populations, such as younger adolescents, children, and pregnant women"

"Safety and immune response data from this trial after immunization of adolescents 12 to 15 years of age will be reported subsequently, and additional studies are planned to evaluate BNT162b2 in pregnant women, children younger than 12 years, and those in special risk groups, such as immunocompromised persons"

https://www.nejm.org/doi/10.1056/NEJMoa2034577

This is where doing your own research provides the answers.

A pregnant woman, by definition, is not infertile.
A pregnant woman, by definition, is not infertile.

Good point :biggrin:

My bad.

Vaccines have only been out for 6 months and they began with the "oldies" for the first few months.

So really would anyone have noticed any infertility problems at this stage? ! Can't see it TBH.

People don't tend to regularly go to their GP just to check if they are fertile. So it would only become apparent after couples had been trying hard to get have a baby and were consistently failing. Having a bit of "rumpy pumpy" doesn't always guarantee pregnancy of course !

So really still very early days I think. If fertility is affected it will probably emerge after a year or so.
Lots of things can affect your menstrual cycle and it's not uncommon for vaccines to affect it - it's been noted that the flu shot has and can affect people's menstrual cycles also. So no, I don't think it causes fertility I just think that the menstrual cycle is a delicate process and easy to disrupt when changes are made to your body!
Original post by Bang Outta Order
I'm worried about your naive trust in the government more than I am worried about the side effects of the vaccine.

Thanks for the concern but you don't need to worry :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest