icelatte
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
so im starting yr 12 in September and I have plans for the summer to relax and also start selling commission type work which Im sure I could put on uni application/cv or whatever it is, etc so I have plans for spending my time for summer.
Ive also been given some transition work for the summer by the college I have an offer from. It seems like its basically just a few exam style questions they want me to attempt. Havent started it yet but plan to soon.

Is there any other advice/ things maybe you wish you studied before year 12 to prepare urself more or should I just relax while I still can?
global_astro
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by icelatte)
so im starting yr 12 in September and I have plans for the summer to relax and also start selling commission type work which Im sure I could put on uni application/cv or whatever it is, etc so I have plans for spending my time for summer.
Ive also been given some transition work for the summer by the college I have an offer from. It seems like its basically just a few exam style questions they want me to attempt. Havent started it yet but plan to soon.

Is there any other advice/ things maybe you wish you studied before year 12 to prepare urself more or should I just relax while I still can?
i'm currently in the same position so i'm not sure if i have the best advice compared to someone who's already been through it but in terms of keeping up with education, i think familiarizing yourself a little with the syllabus for each subject you're taking would be good prep! obviously not intense studying but just a brief read over just so that certain things won't be so much of a shocker when they come around.

try picking up new hobbies too whilst you have the time! a lotta people tend to say in terms of being in academy, year 11 leavers get one of the longest holidays so dedicate some time to picking up things you might have been putting off from gcses. a new sport or instrument perhaps, or maybe a game or just reading a book you've had your eye on! thinking of new bonding activities to do with friends could be good too ^_^

other than that, i think your commission idea is really good and i've been interested in doing something similar with my art, although i have to focus on gaining some traction and improving my time management first haha. but definitely above all, relax and dedicate time to yourself, you deserve it after the hectic year and a half we've just had!
DM321
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by global_astro)
i'm currently in the same position so i'm not sure if i have the best advice compared to someone who's already been through it but in terms of keeping up with education, i think familiarizing yourself a little with the syllabus for each subject you're taking would be good prep! obviously not intense studying but just a brief read over just so that certain things won't be so much of a shocker when they come around.

try picking up new hobbies too whilst you have the time! a lotta people tend to say in terms of being in academy, year 11 leavers get one of the longest holidays so dedicate some time to picking up things you might have been putting off from gcses. a new sport or instrument perhaps, or maybe a game or just reading a book you've had your eye on! thinking of new bonding activities to do with friends could be good too ^_^

other than that, i think your commission idea is really good and i've been interested in doing something similar with my art, although i have to focus on gaining some traction and improving my time management first haha. but definitely above all, relax and dedicate time to yourself, you deserve it after the hectic year and a half we've just had!
Hi, just finished A levels and this seems like really good advice! For most courses you’re doing you probably won’t be able to make much of a head start and your first week is mainly admin anyway if I remember correctly! Enjoy the holidays, maybe have a bit of a look over what you’ve done but only for any initial tests you’ll have to see what you’ve remembered. My maths teacher did a test on GCSE stuff and we all had to get a certain % but by that point it’s not too bad and you could resit it. Don’t worry too much about it, cover what they tell you to and enjoy the time off!
icelatte
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by global_astro)

Okay cool thanks so much lol
Hope ur art stuff goes well too ^^
global_astro
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by DM321)
Hi, just finished A levels and this seems like really good advice! For most courses you’re doing you probably won’t be able to make much of a head start and your first week is mainly admin anyway if I remember correctly! Enjoy the holidays, maybe have a bit of a look over what you’ve done but only for any initial tests you’ll have to see what you’ve remembered. My maths teacher did a test on GCSE stuff and we all had to get a certain % but by that point it’s not too bad and you could resit it. Don’t worry too much about it, cover what they tell you to and enjoy the time off!
ahh thank you so much for the heads up, i'll keep this in mind then! enjoy your break off too ^_^
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by icelatte)

Hi there,

I am a student at Portsmouth University.

I would make sure you have time to relax and enjoy the summer or work etc.
Complete the work you've been given and maybe brush up on some topics if you know them.
It varies depending on the subjects you're taking. For example with maths I just brushed up on the basics as the A-levels then build on them.
But i wouldn't worry or spend too much time on it, enjoy the summer.

Hope this helps.

Ethan - UOP Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
22.54%
Excited but a bit nervous (128)
45.07%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.68%
I'm really nervous (56)
19.72%

Watched Threads