Can a dental hygiene earn a lot and can I qualify to become a dentist?

Watch
Qwer7869
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I don’t have the grades to get into dentistry but I looked into dental hygiene. I heard working privately you can earn a lot and that’s something I would aspire to do. The course is usually 3yrs and I heard you can then become a dentist? Is that true? And would this only work if I had the a level grades for it? But then again that would cost me a extra 3 yrswhich is very long. But I’m interested in the dental hygiene and therapy. Could someone explain the working privately and how would you actually do that? Is it like opening your own business?
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The majority of DHTs work privately given that not much of the treatments they provide is funded by the NHS. They usually work in different practices owned by dentists. I’ve not heard of a DHT owning their own practice.
They can become a dentist at a later point but they’d have to do the 5 year undergrad or 4 year graduate course like any other graduate - there’s no shortcut.
Qwer7869
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
The majority of DHTs work privately given that not much of the treatments they provide is funded by the NHS. They usually work in different practices owned by dentists. I’ve not heard of a DHT owning their own practice.
They can become a dentist at a later point but they’d have to do the 5 year undergrad or 4 year graduate course like any other graduate - there’s no shortcut.
So if I wanted to become a dentist after in total would it be me studying In uni for 8 years? And the pay for an experienced dental therapist is band 7 how can I become an experienced dental therapist for a higher pay?
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Qwer7869)
I don’t have the grades to get into dentistry but I looked into dental hygiene. I heard working privately you can earn a lot and that’s something I would aspire to do. The course is usually 3yrs and I heard you can then become a dentist? Is that true? And would this only work if I had the a level grades for it? But then again that would cost me a extra 3 yrswhich is very long. But I’m interested in the dental hygiene and therapy. Could someone explain the working privately and how would you actually do that? Is it like opening your own business?
What do you have in the way of A Levels and GCSEs?

How old are you?
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Qwer7869)
So if I wanted to become a dentist after in total would it be me studying In uni for 8 years? And the pay for an experienced dental therapist is band 7 how can I become an experienced dental therapist for a higher pay?
Yes, you’d be doing 8 years or 7 if going the graduate entry route. However that’s a lot more expensive, time consuming and highly competitive (it’s more competitive to apply as a graduate than as a school-leaver). Your best bet is to go the undergraduate route straight after school. If you don’t have good enough predicted grades, take a gap year and apply with achieved grades.

As for your second question, I have no idea.
Qwer7869
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kerzen)
What do you have in the way of A Levels and GCSEs?

How old are you?
GCSEs I got physics-7 biology-6 chemistry-8
Maths-7 english language and lit-7 a levels I’m predicted ACC but I can get this up if I work hard and be predicted ABB and I’m 17. I’m looking to get a job I’m interested in with a good pay as I wanted to do dentistry but I don’t have the grades that’s why I chose dental therapist now
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (20)
28.17%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (7)
9.86%
No I am happy with my choice (40)
56.34%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (4)
5.63%

Watched Threads