exdimensions
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I have already done my gcse’s, but I need any good advice you have for a project anything about revising, exams, stress, choosing subjects etc. would be appreciated!
drs.vud.192
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by exdimensions)
I have already done my gcse’s, but I need any good advice you have for a project anything about revising, exams, stress, choosing subjects etc. would be appreciated!
I would say:
1) Pick your subjects based on what interests you and what you're good at. Your GCSE choices really aren't important so pick them based on what you personally enjoy and what you think you'll be able to get good grades in. I'd maybe suggest doing a creative course, two to three academic courses and a non-academic course? Maybe like art, history, French and business, or product, geography, triple science and drama. Something along those lines, though it depends on what you want to do in the future. I'm dreadful at artistic stuff so I skipped the creative course and did three academic + one non-academic instead.
2) Revise lightly in year 10, maybe like half an hour every day just going over what you learnt especially in maths, science, languages, etc. Revise more when exams are upcoming. In year 11 you really need to ramp up the revision though.
3) Don't stress too much in year 10, just revise lightly as you go along and make your revision materials as you go along. You really don't need to do that much but please don't slack off, I did that and I went through hell in year 11 because of it.
4) Look to the future. Start thinking about what you might want to do in the future (stuff like universities, careers, etc). This will give you more motivation as you'll have something to aspire to. When I was in year 10 I had no aspirations, no goals, no nothing so I got extremely mediocre grades. When I started making goals in year 11 my entire work ethic changed and my grades began to soar (example: I went from a grade 4 in French and geography to grade 7 in mocks to grade 9 at the end of year 11).
5) Don't be pressured by what your friends do. If your friends are slackers and call you a try hard or whatever, ignore them. If they want to settle for average, that's their own problem not yours.
6) Enjoy yourself. You don't have to be miserable in GCSEs, just revise, get everything done at a good quality and put in the effort and you will be fine.
7) Just remember that if you work hard now you'll set yourself up for success. Doing well in your GCSEs will open up more courses at A Level to you, as well as better your chances to get into university.

Hope this helps. May I ask what your project is?
lizloe
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by exdimensions)
From what I learned:

1) Take it seriously in year 10. I wouldn't say stress about it, but make sure you aren't brushing i off like it's noting. At the end of the day, what you learn in eyar 10 is so important for year 11. And year 11 goes by so quick and is usually so much tougher, that year 10 is the best time to start practising and revising, soon as in year 11, you may not have as much time.

2) Find you own way of revising, if this is mindmaps, flashcards, posters, writing notes, reading notes - find your own way, don't just do something that works for someone else as this may not necessarily work for you. Do what helps and works for you!

3) Choose the subjects you not only enjoy but the ones you can imagine yourself doing in the future (i.e. 6th form college, even uni). GCSEs lead to Alevels, so I'd say choose what you enjoy. Even if you aren't the best now, you can still improve in the next 2 years, as long as you try hard, practise, revise at school and at HOME. Also don't choose what someone else tells you to choose, choose what you want to and what you feel the best with.

4) Don't revise last minute, I know it's hard sometimes to not procrastinate and try to revise a few weeks or months before, but trust, revising last minute will not get you high marks, and for some subjects, knowledge needs to be built up and can't be packed in one or two days.

5) For revision- PRACTISE, PRACTISE, PRACTISE! Do practice papers online, make your revision stuff, go through them again and again, if you get something wrong or don't understand something from class or a past test, do it again, at home or whenever. Watch helpful YouTube videos on them, get a revision book if you need to. But do not give up, cause you can do well, you just need to revise.

6) With stress, I'd say don't overwork. Of course you should revise, you should try hard in class and out, but don't spend all your time doing that. Try going out with friends, or chill at home, watch some netflix or youtube or whatever. Like make sure to have a BALANCE. Your mental health is so so important, even more than your grades, so make sure your grades aren't affecting you, but at the same time, don't give up even when something is stressing you out. Sometimes we get stressed because we don't get something or we aren't good at it, but that kinda links to my last point, so as i said, keep a BALANCE of everything. And do give yourself a break.

7) Do try and have fun. Year 11 is your last year, and it's stressful enough. It goes quick as ...
Last edited by lizloe; 4 weeks ago
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
maintain a good work-life balance- work hard but don't burn yourself out. gcses are stressful but they're not the end of the world.
pick subjects you enjoy and are interested in, will make putting the effort in them much easier.
progress isn't always linear so don't be downhearted if it takes a while for you to get a higher grade in a subject.
do as many practice papers as you can and note down your mistakes so you can improve
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (70)
22.95%
Excited but a bit nervous (135)
44.26%
Not bothered either way (37)
12.13%
I'm really nervous (63)
20.66%

Watched Threads