mcvinod22
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
My law university offers a year abroad programme in Australia as well as continental Europe. However what are the benefits of me taking this approach? If i was able to work whilst studying abroad would this help me with my applications for law chambers in the UK post graduation or is it better to stick with the 3 year course and do a masters along side my BPTC? Obviously i will try my best to gain work experience in the UK whilst doing my degree but is it better to do a year abroad if you want to be a barrister?
University of Sussex Official Reps
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mcvinod22)
My law university offers a year abroad programme in Australia as well as continental Europe. However what are the benefits of me taking this approach? If i was able to work whilst studying abroad would this help me with my applications for law chambers in the UK post graduation or is it better to stick with the 3 year course and do a masters along side my BPTC? Obviously i will try my best to gain work experience in the UK whilst doing my degree but is it better to do a year abroad if you want to be a barrister?
Hello, thank you for your question.

Myself, I do not study law; however, I have done a Study Year Abroad in Canada as a part of my degree course. For me, the decision to choose to take a Year Abroad was influenced mainly by the wish to experience a different style of teaching; to have a chance to study different academic content than I have been exposed to at my current university; and the desire to enhance my cultural awareness and interpersonal skills. I would say that taking on this opportunity definitely has satisfied both of these aims and more! However, I am fortunate enough to still be able to do an Integrated Master's as part of my undergraduate degree; so, I did not need to choose between doing a Study Year Abroad vs Master's. Hence, I acknowledge that you have potentially more factors to consider. Thus, I am more than happy to share any aspects of my experience that may make this choice easier for you .

Considering what you have written, it seems to me as though your consideration of the Study Abroad stems mainly from your aspirations to acquire sufficient work experience, as opposed to wanting to expand your theoretical subject knowledge. Hence, perhaps a Professional Placement Abroad (e.g., with a specific law firm) may be really what you are looking forward; as opposed to a Study Abroad per se? Does you university offer these types of opportunities? (e.g., over the summer holidays?) Nonetheless, of course you could do both; provided you have enough time, secure work permits, find the right employment, etc.

In terms of comparing the advantages of obtaining international vs home work experience, there are definitely additional benefits of the former, including, for instance the opportunity to substantially expand your networking and communication skills; subject to interacting with employers/employees from a wider range of locations and cultural backgrounds than you are likely to come across in UK. This will certainly look great on any CV and is likely to be very rewarding for you; both personally and professionally! But I would keep in mind that the academic demands may limit your ability to work for as many hours as you would like to; especially, since you may need to adapt to a different style of learning, which of course is an additional challenge and may take extra time. Thus, I would fully familiarise yourself with the programme of the studies and think carefully whether the Study Year Abroad will actually offer the kind of experience you are looking for. Talking to past students who have had a chance to take on this opportunity and the relevant academics at home and the university abroad may be a good way to start to obtain these useful insights; hence allowing you to make the most informed decision.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions I might be able to answer .

Best Wishes,
Kasia (4th Year Medical Neuroscience Student MSci with a Year Abroad)
Last edited by University of Sussex Official Reps; 1 month ago
Johnny ~
Badges: 15
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mcvinod22)
Don't think it matters and you can be doing more valuable things if you graduate a year early. Most people treat years abroad as a chance to unwind, have fun, study something that's a little different to the rest of their degree. Trying to justify it as an employability booster simply won't work.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (10)
34.48%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (2)
6.9%
No I am happy with my choice (16)
55.17%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (1)
3.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise