The Student Room Group

Alevels

I want to do med and I was planning on taking chem bio and maths. But I also tried history at a 6th form taster lesson and I’m stuck between maths and history. I think I enjoy history more but in my bio and chem taster lessons they stressed the importance and expected us to take maths, or at least core maths to aid the mathematical parts of the courses. I definitely do not want to take 4 or 3 1/2 subject I just want to take 3. I also feel like I would get a better grade in history than maths. What should I do considering they expect us to do maths?
Reply 1
The third A-level doesnt matter, the mains are chemistry and biology for medicine do what u are going to be better at trust me you'll thank yourself later i know people that done biology chemistry and PE and got into medicine. Do something to make your life easier not harder, ignore your school at the end of the day its your future. i personally picked biology, chemistry and psychology and my the other people in my year that want to do medicine they do maths instead of psychology and they are struggling a lot. Its different for everyone though.
Reply 2
also my mate thats doing maths says its split into two sections; pure maths and statistics i think. She thinks statistics is absoultely usless, so the core maths is probably the only thing that will be useful. I know you havent mentioned psychology but just trying to emphasise that quite a few topics in psychology is so helpful for a-level bio. so its not just maths that is useful for medicine theres other subjects which will deffo help. i hate how skls over emphaise that maths is key for medicine, it is to an extent. Most unis require gcse grade 6 if you haven't done it at a -level
Reply 3
Original post by fh2712
also my mate thats doing maths says its split into two sections; pure maths and statistics i think. She thinks statistics is absoultely usless, so the core maths is probably the only thing that will be useful. I know you havent mentioned psychology but just trying to emphasise that quite a few topics in psychology is so helpful for a-level bio. so its not just maths that is useful for medicine theres other subjects which will deffo help. i hate how skls over emphaise that maths is key for medicine, it is to an extent. Most unis require gcse grade 6 if you haven't done it at a -level

I have definitely considered psychology! But I have an older brother who studied psychology and he had to drop it and repeat y12. It wasn’t just him either good proportion of the class did the same his gf in the year below took it too and didn’t do well, so it’s put me off massively. It’s not that I’m bad at maths I got 71% in the last assessment which I think is an 8 but it requires much more work and is less enjoyable to me whereas history I can get a 9 quite easily in comparison as I find it much more interesting.

Quick Reply

Latest