neve134
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am due to start a SCITT programme in September however I have just had a confirmation from student finance I am getting the lowest amount. I realise that even with the highest amount I would still need to work alongside as I am living alone and paying all bills alone.

I spoke to the course leaders and they advised that it would be very difficult to do both. As I am doing the SCITT Monday to Friday and then obviously all the work that goes along with it. I am worried that I won’t be able to cope with doing both at the same time.

Has anyone done this and found that it is easy doable or is the best thing for me to do to defer a year and save money?
amberrose13
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Honestly, I would've found it nigh on impossible to work part-time and do the course at the same time. Most people I know who started with a part-time job have now quit it as the workload was unmanageable. That said, I also know people who have done it. I think you would just have to be willing to compensate for the time you'd be 'missing' through your part-time work by working on your course even longer hours during the days you're not working.

To give you an idea, I have been doing pretty much 14 hour days the past week, and have spent most of my weekend working too. Admittedly, I am finishing the course so I have a lot of paperwork and things, and it isn't normally QUITE as bad, but it's absolute bare minimum 10 hour days and at least one weekend day for me. This is only whilst on placement though. I think you'd be able to manage part-time work around your lectures as this is a lot less strenuous time, generally speaking.

Basically, I wouldn't recommend working unless you absolutely have to but it CAN be done- you'd just have to pull some really long hours and be super organised.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by neve134)
I am due to start a SCITT programme in September however I have just had a confirmation from student finance I am getting the lowest amount. I realise that even with the highest amount I would still need to work alongside as I am living alone and paying all bills alone.

I spoke to the course leaders and they advised that it would be very difficult to do both. As I am doing the SCITT Monday to Friday and then obviously all the work that goes along with it. I am worried that I won’t be able to cope with doing both at the same time.

Has anyone done this and found that it is easy doable or is the best thing for me to do to defer a year and save money?
People do it because needs must, but it is very, very tough and often they end up having to give up work or drop out. If deferring for a year and saving money is an easy-ish option for you, I'd do that. Long term, focusing on your SCITT will likely make you a better teacher and benefit your career more.

People who make it work tend to have a low hours high paid side job OR they have a job where they can do some PGCE work whilst they are there, or one where they can up their hours a lot in the holidays. How much would you be looking to earn, and do you have a plan for earning it?

I'd say evening work is almost definitely a non-starter (you will be knackered and sometimes you're required to stay late at school) but one day at the weekend may be doable for part of the year, as long as you're prepared to manage with no break.

But if you can avoid it, do.
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

What is your experience with working? I'd say if you are going in with some 'advantage' (e.g. you already have a lot of teaching experience or you have already had experience working 2 jobs at the same time) then it could be something manageable. However, most people find the SCITT programme alone to be exhausting.

A few people on my course did do some part-time work. To give you an idea of how it worked for them:

- one did work ONLY during the first half-term. We had been told in advance that in the first half term, we would mainly be learning and observing and taking a very small amount of lessons, so it was manageable for her to work all day Saturday. She didn't continue the job after that though

- one had a single weekly shift at a cafe owned by a friend, I think it was something like 5 hours every Saturday. During the periods where we had taken on a lot of classes and had lots of deadlines, I know she found this super difficult, as she was basically planning / doing coursework all day on Sunday and only had half a Saturday to relax

I think the danger is that if you depend on the part-time job, you obviously can't drop it if it becomes too much. And you may very well end up at a point during your training where you are risking failing a placement, and need to dedicate all of your energy just to passing through, so having extra commitments would put you in a very difficult position.
SpartanLevi
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi there, I haven't taken the SCITT programme however I did manage to study 3 A-Levels (Biology, Economics and History) and a Level 3 Core Mathematics course whilst working 20 hours per week. I think I have done pretty well under these circumstances however it was very difficult, work would often be physically demanding and this would affect my ability to study etc. I would suggest, like others in this thread have done, is to work during your holidays and save up some money this way. Furthermore, if possible I would recommend taking up a night shift at a warehouse, the hourly rate can be upwards of £12 so this could provide a decent amount of money.
NualaC87
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Hi,

I hope you dint mind me prying but have SF said why you are getting the lowest amount ?
This stresses me out because im waiting to hear my award. Im thankful my husband will be supporting me and our child but even still his wage isnt amazing so it will be a very tough year. I have asked for the highest aware but I dont think I will get it xxx
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SpartanLevi)
Hi there, I haven't taken the SCITT programme however I did manage to study 3 A-Levels (Biology, Economics and History) and a Level 3 Core Mathematics course whilst working 20 hours per week. I think I have done pretty well under these circumstances however it was very difficult, work would often be physically demanding and this would affect my ability to study etc. I would suggest, like others in this thread have done, is to work during your holidays and save up some money this way. Furthermore, if possible I would recommend taking up a night shift at a warehouse, the hourly rate can be upwards of £12 so this could provide a decent amount of money.
Being blunt, a SCITT is far more demanding than 3/4 level 3 courses. It's a full time job, plus elements of a masters course on top. Working a night shift on top of doing a SCITT would leave someone absolutely exhausted, and unlikely to perform well during their SCITT- which would ultimately lead to them failing and having to leave the course. Also unlike A-levels, one can be asked to leave at any time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (38)
28.36%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (12)
8.96%
No I am happy with my choice (74)
55.22%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (10)
7.46%

Watched Threads