username5496276
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
for the people who have done an EPQ how was it like? was it fun? what Alevels did you do with it? What topic did you do yours on?
CatInTheCorner
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by borahae.x)
for the people who have done an EPQ how was it like? was it fun? what Alevels did you do with it? What topic did you do yours on?
I did an EPQ. It was interesting, long, but I'm glad I did it, I felt like I learnt a lot and can speak about it at interview. I did bio, chem, maths. I did mine on the probability of developing dementia in your lifetime.
username5496276
Rep:
(Original post by CatInTheCorner)
I did an EPQ. It was interesting, long, but I'm glad I did it, I felt like I learnt a lot and can speak about it at interview. I did bio, chem, maths. I did mine on the probability of developing dementia in your lifetime.
was it really stressful and hard to keep up with? can you get teachers to proofread over it to guarantee you get the best results ? or is that not allowed? do you need to be really good at English to do it- so like use high level vocabulary and things like that?
SB1234567890
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
I found the EPQ really interesting and the fact that I was interested in my topic meant that I actually found it fun and was motivated to do the research etc so the lower uni entry requirements, improved personal statement... were more of a bonus than a motivator. I did it with A levels in psychology, sociology and business so I was able to manage my time effectively due to not having any coursework on top of the project though it was slightly stressful trying to balance it with things to do with uni applications and mock revision though I was expecting year 13 to be overwhelming so I was prepared. I did my essay on the extent to which promotion has on consumer behaviour, combining elements of neuromarketing, colour psychology in branding, theories behind other elements of the marketing mix and factors influencing the effectiveness of promotion
CatInTheCorner
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by borahae.x)
was it really stressful and hard to keep up with? can you get teachers to proofread over it to guarantee you get the best results ? or is that not allowed? do you need to be really good at English to do it- so like use high level vocabulary and things like that?
It wasn't stressful because my brother had done one, so he gave me loads of tips.

Start super early, and make sheets for each source you use that include the link, when you accessed it, quotes, what the main points are, the authors, the date and place it was published, and the details of the reliability of who published it and where it was published.

Then your essay is already half-written, you just have to put it together. I had this done about Jan 28th and my EPQ was only due today, so I had huge amounts of time to write it. As long as you do good amounts of work early, you're gold. I took a two month break for my exams and then after my year 12 exams, and I still had a while to write my essay.

You can get teachers to read one draft halfway through, and that's it ( at least for my exam board ) but read it through yourself out loud, use Grammarly, etc. It's supposed to be an independent project so they can't "guarantee" results because they're not allowed to help you cheat the whole point of the EPQ.

You need to be decent at writing essays. Mine wasn't even a proper essay since it was a medical report and statistical analysis but still required essay writing. I'd encourage you to do an artefact instead if you hate essays. High-level vocab depends on your topic, but I would say yes.

good luck xx
username5496276
Rep:
(Original post by CatInTheCorner)
It wasn't stressful because my brother had done one, so he gave me loads of tips.

Start super early, and make sheets for each source you use that include the link, when you accessed it, quotes, what the main points are, the authors, the date and place it was published, and the details of the reliability of who published it and where it was published.

Then your essay is already half-written, you just have to put it together. I had this done about Jan 28th and my EPQ was only due today, so I had huge amounts of time to write it. As long as you do good amounts of work early, you're gold. I took a two month break for my exams and then after my year 12 exams, and I still had a while to write my essay.

You can get teachers to read one draft halfway through, and that's it ( at least for my exam board ) but read it through yourself out loud, use Grammarly, etc. It's supposed to be an independent project so they can't "guarantee" results because they're not allowed to help you cheat the whole point of the EPQ.

You need to be decent at writing essays. Mine wasn't even a proper essay since it was a medical report and statistical analysis but still required essay writing. I'd encourage you to do an artefact instead if you hate essays. High-level vocab depends on your topic, but I would say yes.

good luck xx
so when u enrol in September in year 12 when do you have to do your epq by? Is it the end of year 12 or a bit after when year 13 starts? the college I want to go has a 4 alevel policy and epq is taken additionally if u want to do it. I really want to do an epq so do you think I will go mad having to do that much work? They allow you to drop an alevel at the end of year 12 but in the meantime do you think it’s possible that I can handle all that workload with the epq and stay on top of everything?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (7)
21.21%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
9.09%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
12.12%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (3)
9.09%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
21.21%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (9)
27.27%

Watched Threads