username5496276
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
What good books do you recommend reading if you have an interest in medicine? Im currently going into year 12 and I want to read books about doctors and their experiences, or patients' logs? Not sure if I make sense but does anyone have any recommendations?
CatInTheCorner
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by borahae.x)
What good books do you recommend reading if you have an interest in medicine? Im currently going into year 12 and I want to read books about doctors and their experiences, or patients' logs? Not sure if I make sense but does anyone have any recommendations?
you can google this. the medic portal has good stuff
medsock
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'd recommend starting with "This is going to hurt" - by Adam Kay. Most students start with this one its quite well known and actually very interesting. It'll give you a great feel into medicine.
Turning_A_Corner
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I recommend Rachel Clarke and Adam Kay as authors. Also Max Pemberton.

I don’t know so much about patient stories from a purely medical perspective but if you want a good one about stroke survival I recommend Falling and Laughing. Talks about the aftermath and recovery from stroke of the singer Edwyn Collins. Excellent read. Blue Sky July is also a beautiful book about a mother raising her son who has cerebral palsy.

If you want something challenging and relevant I recommend Ethics, Conflict and Medical Treatment for Children: From disagreement to dissensus. Will give you a lot to think about and talk about at interview, providing you can access it. I wouldn’t be trying to read too much that’s really academic, though, unless you genuinely believe you can access this sort of text at this stage.
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by borahae.x)
There is an excellent thread with many recommendations here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6491274

If you want, you can post in there with some more details about what you’re interested and we can try to make some specific suggestions
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (58)
21.64%
Excited but a bit nervous (123)
45.9%
Not bothered either way (35)
13.06%
I'm really nervous (52)
19.4%

Watched Threads