wellhellothere1
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So here's the deal - I love English and History, so Law always seemed like the ideal career path for me. I've chosen to take English, History, Biology and Latin for A-Level. But my parents don't think becoming a lawyer is a good idea, and want me to switch Latin to Chemistry and become a doctor. It's not as simple as ignoring them and doing what I want, 'cause a lot of what they're saying kind of makes sense:

If I become a Lawyer, I'll be restricted to practicing in the UK, whereas Doctors can pretty much work anywhere in the world.
A career in Medicine is more reliable, with steady pay; A career in Law seems a lot more uncertain in terms of pay.

However, I vastly prefer the humanities to the sciences, so the idea of doing Chem for A level really doesn't appeal to me. It's not that I hate the idea of being a doctor - I just don't really enjoy the subjects that underpin it. And I feel like Law involves subjects that I really enjoy, so I feel more drawn to it as a career.
So what should I do? Law or Medicine?
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by wellhellothere1)
If I become a Lawyer, I'll be restricted to practicing in the UK, whereas Doctors can pretty much work anywhere in the world.
Only up to a point...as a doctor you don't get automatic carte blanche to work anywhere you like in the world. For each country you might want to work in there are bureaucratic registration requirements, expensive licensing exams, restrictive immigration laws, admin fees etc - not to mention you have to speak the local language! The usual destinations for UK doctors increasingly want to train and retain their own medical graduates which may restrict your choices further.

Lots of UK trained doctors do work abroad of course but it shouldn't be one of the main things that influences your decision to do medicine. If you do medicine and eventually decide in your late 20s or 30s that moving to another country is neither practical nor desirable, will you still be happy with your choice then?

A career in Medicine is more reliable, with steady pay; A career in Law seems a lot more uncertain in terms of pay.
Medicine involves a lot of moving around and there is only one employer while you are training (the NHS) which is - at best - mediocre at looking after doctors and at worst pretty abysmal. Whilst it's technically true that you will always be able to find a job somewhere, that should not be the bar you set for reliability.

You sound like a well motivated person so presumably if you did a law degree you'd work hard and take it seriously. Why shouldn't you be able to find a decent paying job afterwards?

I would strongly advise that you don't buy into a unicorns and rainbows version of medicine. Your parents undoubtedly have your best interests at heart but I'm willing to bet they are not doctors, because much of what they are saying sounds like idealism.
wellhellothere1
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Democracy)
Only up to a point...as a doctor you don't get automatic carte blanche to work anywhere you like in the world. For each country you might want to work in there are bureaucratic registration requirements, expensive licensing exams, restrictive immigration laws, admin fees etc - not to mention you have to speak the local language! The usual destinations for UK doctors increasingly want to train and retain their own medical graduates which may restrict your choices further.

Lots of UK trained doctors do work abroad of course but it shouldn't be one of the main things that influences your decision to do medicine. If you do medicine and eventually decide in your late 20s or 30s that moving to another country is neither practical nor desirable, will you still be happy with your choice then?

Medicine involves a lot of moving around and there is only one employer while you are training (the NHS) which is - at best - mediocre at looking after doctors and at worst pretty abysmal. Whilst it's technically true that you will always be able to find a job somewhere, that should not be the bar you set for reliability.

You sound like a well motivated person so presumably if you did a law degree you'd work hard and take it seriously. Why shouldn't you be able to find a decent paying job afterwards?

I would strongly advise that you don't buy into a unicorns and rainbows version of medicine. Your parents undoubtedly have your best interests at heart but I'm willing to bet they are not doctors, because much of what they are saying sounds like idealism.
thanks for the advice - tbh the reason why I'm taking my parents' advice seriously is because my Dad's a doctor, and most of my family studied medicine (grandparents, uncles, cousins.) My Grandma told me that my Grandad loved Physics when he was younger, and wanted to become a Nuclear Physicist, but his Dad told him to be realistic and study medicine instead - and he's now super glad that he made that decision bc he's financially stable + secure...basically my whole family is telling me to do medicine cause it's the most sensible option and I'll regret doing anything else - and they've got personal experience to back it up...so maybe I'm being naive and impractical by just focusing on doing subjects that I enjoy? Like they're telling me that I've got to be realistic about life and focus on getting a job that'll pay me well because that's all I'll care about in 10 years time...lemme know what you think though.

About the working abroad thing - my Dad trained as a Doctor in the UK and now he works abroad, and it didn't seem like too difficult of a transition? I get that there's probably a lot of paperwork and stuff, but I'm worried that by studying Law I'm essentially restricting myself to working in one country for the rest of my life or not working at all?
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by wellhellothere1)
thanks for the advice - tbh the reason why I'm taking my parents' advice seriously is because my Dad's a doctor, and most of my family studied medicine (grandparents, uncles, cousins.) My Grandma told me that my Grandad loved Physics when he was younger, and wanted to become a Nuclear Physicist, but his Dad told him to be realistic and study medicine instead - and he's now super glad that he made that decision bc he's financially stable + secure...basically my whole family is telling me to do medicine cause it's the most sensible option and I'll regret doing anything else - and they've got personal experience to back it up...so maybe I'm being naive and impractical by just focusing on doing subjects that I enjoy? Like they're telling me that I've got to be realistic about life and focus on getting a job that'll pay me well because that's all I'll care about in 10 years time...lemme know what you think though.

About the working abroad thing - my Dad trained as a Doctor in the UK and now he works abroad, and it didn't seem like too difficult of a transition? I get that there's probably a lot of paperwork and stuff, but I'm worried that by studying Law I'm essentially restricting myself to working in one country for the rest of my life or not working at all?
Lol okay I stand corrected about your parents

I still think the most important thing is to do what you like. I think it's very unlikely that you'll end up unemployable with a law degree(!)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (32)
15.61%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (63)
30.73%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (25)
12.2%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (17)
8.29%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (11)
5.37%
I think it's an unfair expectation (54)
26.34%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.46%

Watched Threads